Over The Counter Products

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I wanted to start a thread for over the counter pellets, and treats to see what others are doing or have tried.

I have a Jenday conure who eats zupreem nut flavored pellets, and sunflower seeds. This is seriously it! She is a very picky eater.

My Eclectus parrot will try anything. Iā€™ll go over everything below. I have to constantly change things up as my ekkie gets bored of things quickly. He then stops eating whatā€™s been served too many times (heā€™ll scream a lot as well).

ā€¢Roudybush Careline formula APD. (This we arenā€™t going to change as it was his vets recommendation for his medical issues).

ā€¢Harrisonā€™s Original birdie bread. I first contacted them on their website to try samples. Nico really enjoyed his samples. Harrisonā€™s sent a very educational pamphlet with their samples. They have an entire system for parrots that can be adjusted for specific breeds. So I decided to try their birdie bread after we finished his samples. I am able to use this as a treat for Nico. I was intending to use this product to put medication on. Unfortunately Nico ate around the spot that had medication on it so I have to use a syringe.

ā€¢Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. I contacted Caitec on their website, and requested samples. They sent me some, and added a very educational pamphlet. I was very impressed with my experience with Caitec. Nico loved his samples. So I bought these cookies that I use as a snack, or treat.

ā€¢Flukers Salad Singles. I just purchased this, and so far it hasnā€™t gone well. Nico isnā€™t a fan of his veggies mixed together. Iā€™ve tried to dehydrate things as well.

ā€¢All Living Things Bird Treats. Nico doesnā€™t like sweets fresh or otherwise. I understand some may say this is unhealthy to give to parrots. I am trying to find a treat for training, and Nico needs to avoid nuts as they make him extremely aggressive.

ā€¢Bird Tricks Organic Life Enhancing Pellets & Bubbaā€™s Blend Birdie Bread. Nico loved the birdie bread. I will be purchasing this again.

Homemade parrot chop I failed at. Neither of my birds would eat it. This is probably an issue with me as it was the first time I made it. I also think my ekkie prefers his food soft (mushy). He tends to get very upset when served crunchier things (he has temper tantrums like a toddler).

I attached some pictures below of the products I currently am trying. I just ordered Nicoā€™s Caitec baked cookies in the mail today.

Attachments

• ADDF786A-C16A-43F5-9175-4E93E7561336.jpeg
    ADDF786A-C16A-43F5-9175-4E93E7561336.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 3EC287E4-0752-4F6C-A37C-066F2A614065.jpeg
    3EC287E4-0752-4F6C-A37C-066F2A614065.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 6844C467-4786-4DBD-AD0D-30C75E2044CD.jpeg
    6844C467-4786-4DBD-AD0D-30C75E2044CD.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 4A5495D5-9119-4499-A555-C6FC2F698984.jpeg
    4A5495D5-9119-4499-A555-C6FC2F698984.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 475BD5BC-FE5E-4104-B767-6C8784A5A220.jpeg
    475BD5BC-FE5E-4104-B767-6C8784A5A220.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 107

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
My two budgies eat mainly Harrison's Adult Lifetime Super Fine pellets, ocassionally with some Roudybush mixed in. They'll eat the Roudybush, don't love it, but I sometimes like to mix it in for variety. Obviously, millet is their favorite treat, but they will willingly eat a normal seed mix, and sometimes some fruit. Ziggy loves all kinds of berries and Kai sometimes enjoys apple or pear slices. They love to work together on the large pellets I buy for my amazon, nibbling it until they can get some powder. They then eat the powder and throw the pellet away.

My senegal eats Harrison's as part of her base diet and I throw in some Top's and Roudybush just for her, because she just really likes variety in her diet. She likes the Harrison's Birdie Bread and her favorite treats are sunflower seeds, but she'll take just about any treat, besides fruit. She'll grab any scraps from whatever my other birds have been eating, especially nutriberries. Also, she enjoys the Caitec Oven Fresh Bites, which I sometimes leave in a bowl attached to one of my play stands.

Jasper, my 'zon, will eat any flavor of Zupreem pellets, as well as Lafeber's and Harrison's. I normally don't buy Zupreem because having that many food bags takes up a lot of space, but Lafeber's is part of his daily diet and he really likes it. For treats, walnuts, walnuts, WALNUTS! He is so crazy for walnuts, but if he doesn't have them, any other nut is fine, and so are nutriberries. He'll eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites, any type of rice, and Lafeber's Avi-Cakes.

My parrotlet is not picky when it comes to food. He will eat Zupreem, Mazuri, Harrison's, Top's, Roudybush, and Lafeber's. He likes any seed mix or millet, and will eat any fruit, especially watermelon (obviously without seeds). However, the only veggies he will eat are broccoli leaves and cauliflower, which he loves, and occasionally other greens, but only if they are mixed into his chop. But otherwise, he's a pretty good eater

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I also wanted to add a video of my Ekkie standing on his food dish having a temper tantrum over his food. Yes, this really does occur!!!!! Ha ha ha.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.MOV
    8.2 MB

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Unfortunately I can't see your video.

I feed

Tops Pellets
True leaf organic sprouting seeds
Other true leaf organic sproutinf seeds add too the mix
Lafaber Senior berries (I want to try and make own version without the added sugars)
Harrison pellets
Higgins mix ( this what OWA will eat)
Millet sprigs (I did grow a few on my own this year!)

Then I have alot of human organic food I add to their diet

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
My two budgies eat mainly Harrison's Adult Lifetime Super Fine pellets, ocassionally with some Roudybush mixed in. They'll eat the Roudybush, don't love it, but I sometimes like to mix it in for variety. Obviously, millet is their favorite treat, but they will willingly eat a normal seed mix, and sometimes some fruit. Ziggy loves all kinds of berries and Kai sometimes enjoys apple or pear slices. They love to work together on the large pellets I buy for my amazon, nibbling it until they can get some powder. They then eat the powder and throw the pellet away.

My senegal eats Harrison's as part of her base diet and I throw in some Top's and Roudybush just for her, because she just really likes variety in her diet. She likes the Harrison's Birdie Bread and her favorite treats are sunflower seeds, but she'll take just about any treat, besides fruit. She'll grab any scraps from whatever my other birds have been eating, especially nutriberries. Also, she enjoys the Caitec Oven Fresh Bites, which I sometimes leave in a bowl attached to one of my play stands.

Jasper, my 'zon, will eat any flavor of Zupreem pellets, as well as Lafeber's and Harrison's. I normally don't buy Zupreem because having that many food bags takes up a lot of space, but Lafeber's is part of his daily diet and he really likes it. For treats, walnuts, walnuts, WALNUTS! He is so crazy for walnuts, but if he doesn't have them, any other nut is fine, and so are nutriberries. He'll eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites, any type of rice, and Lafeber's Avi-Cakes.

My parrotlet is not picky when it comes to food. He will eat Zupreem, Mazuri, Harrison's, Top's, Roudybush, and Lafeber's. He likes any seed mix or millet, and will eat any fruit, especially watermelon (obviously without seeds). However, the only veggies he will eat are broccoli leaves and cauliflower, which he loves, and occasionally other greens, but only if they are mixed into his chop. But otherwise, he's a pretty good eater
You really love giving all kinds of stuff to your birds! Do you bring them to the store and just buy whatever they touch? XD

Regarding watermelon - don't be afraid to offer watermelon seeds!! Very healthy! We people just don't like the taste, but for them is a real treat. I remember this summer reading about how good they are even for people and even some recipes for them!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
You really love giving all kinds of stuff to your birds! Do you bring them to the store and just buy whatever they touch? XD

Regarding watermelon - don't be afraid to offer watermelon seeds!! Very healthy! We people just don't like the taste, but for them is a real treat. I remember this summer reading about how good they are even for people and even some recipes for them!
Actually, I tried bringing Jasper to the bird store once!
Touched just about everything. I bought a couple toys, but couldn't buy the whole store!
Thanks for the info about watermelon, I'll try the seeds next time :)

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Actually, I tried bringing Jasper to the bird store once!
Touched just about everything. I bought a couple toys, but couldn't buy the whole store!
Thanks for the info about watermelon, I'll try the seeds next time :)
Was it you or Jasper who touched about everything? ha ha

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
Was it you or Jasper who touched about everything? ha ha
Maybe both of them? I know I'm guilty as charged for touching and inspecting everything when in shops (don't worry folks, I disinfect my hands before entering a shop! ...and after!)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Well, whatever he touched, I touched. I agree with you, Skar, I inspect everything in every shop I walk into!

Most Reactions