Owning a cockatoo

tisherself

Dec 30, 2013
As far as eating habits go, when my birds get picky, I mix they're favorite juice to they're pellets. You can even add some fresh foods to it. This is different from they're regular routine. A little variety sometimes work wonders.. hope this helps... :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
While we can't replicate a wild diet for captive cockatoos, I give them a varied diet that varies by the day. 3 to 4 times per week they receive fruits and veggies* and have that as an exclusive diet until evening. About an hour before bedtime they are given a treat of Zupreme pellets. During the other days they are given a mix of high quality seed mix with Zupreme. About 3 times weekly they are given whole grain bread, millet, and a small piece of string cheese.

*Fruits and vegetables: Peas, lima beans, garbanzo beans, kidney and pinto beans, black-eyed peas, corn-on-the-cob, yams, sweet potatoes, endamame pods, apple, orange, various melons, pomegranate, banana, pear, watermelon, organic grapes, whole grain spiral noodles, etc.

Not every bird likes all of the above, but each bowl is given stuff they don't like - sometimes after years of refusal they'll try and enjoy something! Most of the birds are free-flight in a large room-aviary, so the adage of "what's mine is mine, what's yours is mine" is operative - and there's never any food-fighting!

machaus

Jul 24, 2014
Media
Albums
Wow, didn't know peanuts and sunflower seeds cause aggression. I am having that problem and my cockatoo gets peanut butter and seeds as a daily treat. Thanks

jublasi5

Nov 3, 2014
Hi my goffin cockatoo has arthritis in her right claw. It is so sad to watch her lose her balance and I'm scared she is gonna hurt herself in her cage. I made it handicap accessible however in scared of her leg slipping through the bars. Do you think she is smart enough to get around or should i get her a whole new cage with smaller slats between the bars. Any info is greatly appreciated! !

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Hi my goffin cockatoo has arthritis in her right claw. It is so sad to watch her lose her balance and I'm scared she is gonna hurt herself in her cage. I made it handicap accessible however in scared of her leg slipping through the bars. Do you think she is smart enough to get around or should i get her a whole new cage with smaller slats between the bars. Any info is greatly appreciated! !

What you've done seems a great first step to minimize her odds of an accident. How long has she had the arthritis, has it been diagnosed by a vet, and was it gradual or sudden-onset?

I have an older female Goffin with some arthritis. Most of her digits are somewhat kinked and unnaturally grip the perch, but she has accommodated to the point she can fly and "perch" herself on a narrow branch. Parrots can adapt rather well, so you might carefully observe her to learn whether a new cage with closely spaced bars/slats would be helpful.

psycmeistr

Aug 17, 2015
Central Minnesota
Parrots
Newly owned by Moses! Also a cockatiel named Lynnard, and two parakeets, two finches, and two rescued greyhounds.
I heard about peanuts causing aggression, but not sunflower seeds--Moses currently has sunflower seeds mixed in his food.... Thanks for that information-

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thanks for reading! The "stickies" are an easy to access source of collected shared experience!!

ParrotLover7

Dec 19, 2016
Eclectus or lesser sulphur crested cockatoo

I need some advice. I am a first time bird owner and i do not believe in 'starter birds'. i have read lots and lots of information and stories about parrots. I am looking into ekkies and LSC2. I was wondering which one is a better companion.
I once went to koh phanghan and i saw a greater sulphur crested cockatoo. I hated the way they treated him. He was on a small metal stand with tiny space. He had a chain on his leg which connected to the perch. It seemed like he was on an only seed based diet because there were seeds all over the place. He was the sweetest thing EVER. I know that cockatoos have their pros and cons but he was the best thing that had ever happened to me.( i dont own him tho)
1m away from him was a goffins cockatoo.
And at the back of the shop was a M2. It was screaming for attention but everyone just played on their phones.
The GSC2 would reach out his feet for me and extend his wings for me to rub. I stroked his back.( which i knwo now that should be done very occasionally because then he will think that you are his mate). So which one do you think is a better companion please dont be so negative about owning a cockatoo :(.

Ps im new to this forum and i am planning to get a parrot in 2-3 years so i have time to research and get ready. Oh and i will have a dog and maybe a horse ( not sure yet).

Last edited:

dieselbird

Dec 22, 2016
Thanks so much! Especially helpful about where/where not to pet, prefer not to sexually arouse my pets

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I know of a goffin that is in a bad situation . This was helpful. Does anyone know if my severe and a goffin can get along?? I want to help this bird and she's small,but if the two cant live side by side...ill have to rehome.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I know of a goffin that is in a bad situation . This was helpful. Does anyone know if my severe and a goffin can get along?? I want to help this bird and she's small,but if the two cant live side by side...ill have to rehome.

It is possible but of course not guaranteed. My Goffins have no problems with my TAG or Ekkie. Of course it is a two-way street and also dependent on your severe.

I hope you are able to help the Goffin! They are such sweet and lovable little toos.

lovecoco

Jul 14, 2015
I have to agree with the being able to entertain itself. I think for a bird to stay mentally stable and not freak out when life happens for its human, its a great thing for them. All my birds are okay if I have to step out for any amount of time. I also have a new Alexandrine that I adopted from a family. He was plucking and was very nervous. They gave him tons of attention and then got busy later in life. Most of his feathers have grown now and he's able to spend time alone without freaking out.

Vag

Aug 19, 2018
Thailand
Parrots
Cockatoo umbrella
Hello guys , I have a cockatoo umbrella about 4 months old and still hand feeding him, anyone know when they start eating them selfs ?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Not sure when they start eating, but have you never done this before? It concerns me that you don't know, although I am glad you want to know. How did you acquire a bird like this without already possessing that information?
Not trying to be rude, but an adult cockatoo is difficult enough, let alone a weaning baby...

Last edited:

lovecoco

Jul 14, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update everyone. We named him Jell-O or Jello. He is doing really well and seems to really love all of us, but of course I feel the extra goes to me. He is such a great pet and we've gotten over the fear of getting a bite. I haven't received any hard bites like the first 2 days, which is when I asked the first question. He seems to trust me and I trust him. That's not to say that he wouldn't bite if he wanted to get his way, but I just feel we are reading each other just fine and enjoy each others company. He started saying wings, which is something my other cockatoo says while also lifting her wings. I thought that was pretty amazing and goes to show how smart he is, because we've only had him 3 weeks. My Son also heard him say Hi, Jello. He is super cute, super smart and an awesome bird.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Hello guys , I have a cockatoo umbrella about 4 months old and still hand feeding him, anyone know when they start eating them selfs ?

It could take a while, it usually take about 3 to 4 months to be weaned and then hand feeding it could take over a year. What breeder, or store sold you the Baby Cockatoo that young? I seen to many stores and breeders really rush babies to wean for the $$$.

Last edited:

Therapyparrot

Dec 31, 2019
If it makes you feel any better, reading this thread has convinced me that cockatoo's are best enjoyed from afar, and on youtube. I love looking at them, and their quirky personality is part of their allure to me, but in the highly unlikely event my life slows down, and l can take in a large bird, a cockatoo will not be it. Breaks my heart, but facts are facts, and l doubt l have patience to play mind chess with a bird, after 8 hours of doing it with people as a probation officer, or therapist

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

If it makes you feel any better, reading this thread has convinced me that cockatoo's are best enjoyed from afar, and on youtube. I love looking at them, and their quirky personality is part of their allure to me, but in the highly unlikely event my life slows down, and l can take in a large bird, a cockatoo will not be it. Breaks my heart, but facts are facts, and l doubt l have patience to play mind chess with a bird, after 8 hours of doing it with people as a probation officer, or therapist

Love your analogy of "mind chess." Cockatoos are immensely alluring but not the ideal parrot for many. Better to determine in advance and avoid buyers remorse!

Most Reactions

Latest posts