Paint and bird's help

Birbberry

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel parakeets
My dad is insistent on painting with this but i have no where to take my birds what do i do? And how unsafe is it

Attachments

• 1658003156357674791586828736894.jpg
    1658003156357674791586828736894.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 57

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
You **Should** be okay, especially with it being acrylic paint. Keep the windows open and keep the birds in a room where there's few fumes... hopefully It'll keep them safe while your dad paints.

Hopefully the others will have better advice/more knowledgeable advice!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Also maybe a fan blowing away from the cages...?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have painted furniture using low VOC paint while in the bathroom with door shut and exhaust fan on.

They gave me a badly stained tub so I figure itā€™s a spray booth until itā€™s replaced.

Opening all the windows and putting a fan pointing ā€œoutā€ helps too.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey! Looks like itā€™s SW Interior Pro Classic, which is a water based acrylic enamel for doors and trim. The safety/materials data sheets can be found on their product page on their website: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/proclassic-waterborne-interior-acrylic-enamel Honestly if you donā€™t have a lot of experience with MSDS thatā€™s probably not going to be super helpful for you, but its there for you if you have specific concerns.

Happily, Sherwin Williams has switched to using their Colorcast Ecotoner line for tinting all of their paints, so the tints do not add additional VOC to the base paint. Thatā€™s what the ā€œCCE*COLORANTā€ tag means before the tint codes!

While SW does have a lot of no-VOC lines, this particular variety is a low-VOC paint, and not a no-VOC paint. Is your dad using a brush or spraying it? Either way, the parrots need to be in a room as far away from this paint as possible. If the room heā€™s painting has an exhaust fan, turn it on. If the room the parrots are in have windows - keep them open. Spraying means there is going to be more of the paint entering the air as an aerosol obviously, so youā€™d need to be even more careful.

Ultimately, any amount of interior painting is not going to be great for your birds if you canā€™t get them out of the house, but I fully understand that sometimes that just isnā€™t an option. Is he doing all the trim in the house or just a specific room? If itā€™s all the trim Iā€™d maybe consider if you have a friend or relative who can take the birds while heā€™s doing it. Acrylic paint takes a long time to cure; but aim for keeping them out of the area that was painted for at least 48 hours.

My dad is a paint contractor and my brother manages a Sherwin Williams store, so Iā€™ve got a lot of experience with their product line. In the future, ProMar 200 has a zero VOC low sheen line. EcoSelect Zero VOC is another paint formula of theirs that is zero VOC, splash proof, mold/mildew resistant, and a bit more affordable for non-contractors.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Venting the home is the real trick and is more involved in just opening windows. Check direction that the Wind is coming from! Once you have determined that, you can easily determine what direction it is leaving (downwind). On the downwind side of you home open as many windows as possible. Return to the side of your home an open selected windows depending on the strength of the wind and temperature.

It is important to remember that fumes tend to rise in a home. Never move your birds upstairs as the fumes will continue to flow upward. Place fans on the downwind side of the home drawing paint fumes out of the home. Place the Parrots in a room facing the incoming (the direction the wind is coming from).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yea I will be facing this issue shortly, have the house re-sided and ALL the windows replaced. Salty will be living downstairs for a week or 2. THank goodness we have a whole house fan, a hellaciously powerful one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts