Paint Fumes? Wallpaper?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I have a 5 year old Conure and have recently moved into a smaller, one floor home. His room is a spare bedroom that will be used by quests when they stay overnight.
I want to re-decorate the room and donā€™t think that using acrylic paint is wise for his health. Also, I read about wallpaper being only marginally safer.
Since the house is only 1k sq feet and 1 floor, there isnā€™t any place to move him out of harms way.
I was thinking of paneling but am also concerned about the adhesive (liquid nails) being toxic.
I guess I could just nail it but technically you should use adhesive.
Any suggestions?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe good thing about nailing paneling up is that when you move (and you will one day) its much easier to return the appt back to original condition, just spackle the nail holes. Paneling would be the least odor offensive to your parrot. THe trick to nailing paneling is to start where the wall studs are, and then nail every 16".

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
THe good thing about nailing paneling up is that when you move (and you will one day) its much easier to return the appt back to original condition, just spackle the nail holes. Paneling would be the least odor offensive to your parrot. THe trick to nailing paneling is to start where the wall studs are, and then nail every 16".
Yep. Iā€™ve put up paneling many times before but always used adhesive with some nails.
Problem Iā€™m having is canā€™t find ā€œwallpaperā€ paneling like they used to have. Everything now is the old fashioned wood plank style, bricks or odd looking panels.
And the peel and stick panels are VERY expensive.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Old fashion wood appearing paneling is 'in' and the wallpaper print look is 'out.' The other reason, is that the wallpaper look is far too subjective, where old fashion wood look has a wider acceptance and the chance of creating a dead on arrival pattern is far less. Having restored a large historical home, please consider a good quality Water Based Paint. The name brands have all worked hard to reduce the off-gassing. Wait a few more months so you can open your windows an vent while you are painting. Applying a Painter's Thin Coat, will speed up drying and everyone can be comfortable sooner.

Most Reactions

Latest posts