pairing young budgie w/3yr old(same sex)

Pipsqueek

Mar 25, 2024
Media
Albums
Massachusetts -USA
I saw that a local rescue in my area just obtained a huge group of parakeets that are 3 years old, my budgie is about 5 months old. Would it be safe to get another bird that is older to put with my young one or would that be asking for aggression. Should I wait until mine is older. I'm home all day every day but she just sits around and doesn't play or chirp or come out of her cage on her own; but when I put on a video of other budgies she chirps right up and comes out to 'play' with the video and goes up and down her gym. She's so much happier. Should I wait until other birds closer to her age are available?

Attachments

• IMG20240301142946.jpg
    IMG20240301142946.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 3

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I have only moved young parakeets in with older ones, not the other way around. It’s never been a problem to introduce a new bird so long as I start them out in separate, side-by- side cages for a week or two to let them get used to each other before I let them out together. However, there are no guarantees when introducing new birds to each other so you have to be prepared for the possibility that they might never get along. Also, if the budgies at the rescue are older, they may already be bonded to one another and not do well being separated. It might be worth checking with the rescue on that.

OP
Pipsqueek

Pipsqueek

Mar 25, 2024
Media
Albums
Massachusetts -USA
I have only moved young parakeets in with older ones, not the other way around. It’s never been a problem to introduce a new bird so long as I start them out in separate, side-by- side cages for a week or two to let them get used to each other before I let them out together. However, there are no guarantees when introducing new birds to each other so you have to be prepared for the possibility that they might never get along. Also, if the budgies at the rescue are older, they may already be bonded to one another and not do well being separated. It might be worth checking with the rescue on that.
thank you for the input. I decided to not go with the rescue bird because I was too afraid that an older bird would be aggressive and not tolerant of my little one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts