Parakeet got his head stuck between doorway when door was closing. He is not moving.

lokus41

Dec 5, 2021
As the title says. I tried contacting every single vet in my area but they say they don't have anyone that can take care of a bird. I don't know what to do. I have him wrapped around a cloth. His body seems warm but I can't tell if he is breathing or not. Please someone help me.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Oh no! I would try to help you but IDK how. Maybe ask one of the very educated mods here. I hope your feathered baby is alright! :yellow2:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh, I'm so sorry to see this. Perhaps consider widening your search area and make calls. Hopefully somewhere will have emergency answering service. If you haven't checked with them already, I see a place called Bird Clinic in Schenectady that might help with emergency situation. Even if you can just speak with a vet via phone/internet call to help assess. In the meantime, do your best to keep him warm and comfortable. If he's struggling, he needs all the support he can get, and simply maintaining body temperature uses a ton of calories that he can't spare at the moment.

Sending prayers your way 🙏

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Look for an exotic vet or call emergency hospitals to see if they have veterinarian who is bird savvy. If they don't ask I f they know who does? In the mean time keep him warm and in ventilated area. Try not to move him too much

Last edited:

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
As the title says. I tried contacting every single vet in my area but they say they don't have anyone that can take care of a bird. I don't know what to do. I have him wrapped around a cloth. His body seems warm but I can't tell if he is breathing or not. Please someone help me.
He is in shock .....birds in shock will not move.

This is what I would do.....

If he is not hand tamed leave him in a quiet corner. Provide warmth food and water. Let him rest.

If he is hand tamed and knows you well, hold him close. Tell him it is all right, repeatedly.

Once a wild owl, flew in to my glass window. She did not move. Her eyes open, her body weak. I pick her up from the ground without any resistance. She looked like a real-life doll. But I don't want to leave her to the environment, So I put her in a basket to keep away from cats and dogs.

She remained motionless for about 2 hours. When she recovered, she was fierce and furious. Making hissing sounds and scratched the basket. That was a relief. She seems ready to fight and angry to be near me. So I took the basket to open out side. she was able to fly away on her own. And I saw her around sometimes afterwards.

Hope this helps

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Oh I really hope your bird is alright!

OrrinocosMom

Jul 29, 2021
Media
Albums
New England
Parrots
Orrinoco The Pirate
Gosh, sending big bird-healing wishes and prayers your way! Please please update us when you can.

Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
Moon the budgie (M, 2y.o)
Silvia the budgie (F, 1/2y.o)
It's spelled Silvia not Sylvia
I am so sorry!! Once my female budgie got her head stuck in between the bars of her "quarantine cage" (to make sure she didn't have any diseases to give to my male) when we first got her. She didn't move for a bit after that. But you can tell if they are breathing or not because their breaths are quick and fast, so you should be able to see a slight movement in the chest, or if the cere is a little flakey or something is in it, it will be moving up and down. The thing, not the cere. But whatever you do, DO NOT LAY THE BIRD ON ITS BACK. This could make it harder to breath.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions