niyalashaa

Apr 14, 2023
Parrots
parakeet
my budgie/parakeet snow was acting sick 3 days ago he was hot with his wings spread apart, he was not eating or drinking. we went to an emergency vet and they could to give a diagnosis. the next day after the vet he was acting normal and eating and drinking normally, chirping, flapping wigs and playing. yesterday he was acting normal as well playing chirping eating. last night i changed the paper towels at the bottom the cage just to monitor his poop it doesn’t look like he ate anything cause i dont see any seed droppings and his poop is just white with no green or anything. he did eat a spinach treat stick 4 days ago which we’re thinking may have got him sick or caused the green poop but im not sure anymore. any advice

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2169.png
    IMG_2169.png
    340 KB · Views: 36

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
What did the vet say? Did they do any tests?

I wouldn’t give him the treat stick again, just in case. I wouldn’t recommend that brand, they’re known to sell contaminated food.
What’s his diet otherwise?

OP
N

niyalashaa

Apr 14, 2023
Parrots
parakeet
What did the vet say? Did they do any tests?

I wouldn’t give him the treat stick again, just in case. I wouldn’t recommend that brand, they’re known to sell contaminated food.
What’s his diet otherwise?
hey! the emergency vet said they couldn’t give a diagnosis and for me to take him to an avian vet. the emergency vet gave antibiotics i’ve been giving them as prescribed but they make him very very sleepy. he still won’t eat and his poop is now just watery yellow. he won’t eat or drink still and his eyes are now watering and he won’t chirp he just sits on his perch. i’m scared these are his final days.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
hey! the emergency vet said they couldn’t give a diagnosis and for me to take him to an avian vet. the emergency vet gave antibiotics i’ve been giving them as prescribed but they make him very very sleepy. he still won’t eat and his poop is now just watery yellow. he won’t eat or drink still and his eyes are now watering and he won’t chirp he just sits on his perch. i’m scared these are his final days.
How long has it been since he’s eaten? I would take him to an Avian vet immediately.
Do you have any baby bird formula?

If I were you I would act very quickly or you will loose this bird.
What antibiotic did the vet give?

OP
N

niyalashaa

Apr 14, 2023
Parrots
parakeet
How long has it been since he’s eaten? I would take him to an Avian vet immediately.
Do you have any baby bird formula?

If I were you I would act very quickly or you will loose this bird.
What antibiotic did the vet give?
i don’t but im going to get some and i heard organic baby food is good as well. i found two avian vets near me that were recommend by the ER vet. medicine he was prescribed was SMZ-TMP ( Trimethoprim / Sulfamethoxazole ). idk if antibiotics are making him worst or better if you could let me know if this is safe for him if not i’m going to stop giving them

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
i don’t but im going to get some and i heard organic baby food is good as well. i found two avian vets near me that were recommend by the ER vet. medicine he was prescribed was SMZ-TMP ( Trimethoprim / Sulfamethoxazole ). idk if antibiotics are making him worst or better if you could let me know if this is safe for him if not i’m going to stop giving them
As long as you can get him to eat, that’s what matters. Give him anything he will eat.
I’ve been giving that antibiotic to one of my budgies who has a sinus infection, so it’s safe.
Have you noticed improvement? How long has he been on the antibiotic?

Most Reactions

Latest posts