Parrot legs shaking/tapping.

Darius1979

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Orange Winged Amazon
Hello! I own an orange winged amazon parrot and i need help.
He is shaking his legs/ tapping it on his perch more than a parrot should.
He has these periods when he does it a lot and it can last for hours.
He doesn't seem to be in discomfort, he eats and drinks normally, plays with the same joy as before.
And i also noticed he does this intentionally because if he holds something in one leg, and stands on the other,
he doesn't do this but he can't hold it for too long because he has to tap/shake it.(it's like it's itchy or something)
Anyone have an idea what it is?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello,
Glad you joined us! Very active here and great group.

These are best gone over with avian veterinarian. There are some conditions that can have those symptoms.

How old is your bird? How long have you had him?
And diet plays such a huge roll in over all health. Sometimes its a struggle to get them eating healthy. What is yours willing to eat?

OP
D

Darius1979

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Orange Winged Amazon
Hello,
Glad you joined us! Very active here and great group.

These are best gone over with avian veterinarian. There are some conditions that can have those symptoms.

How old is your bird? How long have you had him?
And diet plays such a huge roll in over all health. Sometimes its a struggle to get them eating healthy. What is yours willing to eat?
Hello again,
My bird is almost 3 years old, I've had him for 3 months now.
I give him 1 spoon of seeds, some berries, and a lot of vegetables(beans,corn,green beans,carrots,peas) and some fruits but he only really eats apple, but in the case of vegetables he almost eats everything.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hmmm, I don't recall hearing about this with amazons, but it's a hot topic for ekkies. Toe tapping, it's generally a neurological thing, and commonly nutrition based. Too much or not enough calcium and vitamin A is a common trigger for us ekkie folks. Other sensitivities can cause it too. My guy will start very quickly if he eats purple grapes, blueberries,or sometimes corn will do it to him too. If you have access to an avian vet, please consider a check up with them, and blood work to check levels and organ function. It might give you some information to help. It's not something that's painful, but it's extremely frustrating for them, and can affect his ability to sleep properly, among other things. Please keep us posted!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can you share a video of?
Things it can be and I really don't know all.... chronic zinc toxicity, lots of other toxicities can cause..
imbalance of calcium ( would require vet to assess as you can't mess around with any additves..if was even this) you can offer some boiled egg shells. Other nutrition dissorders..nerve damage.. I really don't know all tge things it could be.
Really an avian veterinarian is your best

OP
D

Darius1979

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Orange Winged Amazon
Can you share a video of?
Things it can be and I really don't know all.... chronic zinc toxicity, lots of other toxicities can cause..
imbalance of calcium ( would require vet to assess as you can't mess around with any additves..if was even this) you can offer some boiled egg shells. Other nutrition dissorders..nerve damage.. I really don't know all tge things it could be.
Really an avian veterinarian is your best

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have an article specifically about calcium i will add after this article. Good info even if isn't the cause. But trembling is listed as one of the symptoms.

Ok if you click this takes you to the page I have calcium stuff on

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The first go to is an Avian Medical Professional!!
The second is Diet!! See the Amazon Forum and the Strictly Thread: I Love Amazons and search for the Segment that defines a strong diet for Amazons! Never limit any Parrots diet as starvation can be a very quick killer.
The size (thickness) of the perch! Should be a minimum of 1" and up to over 3".
Move quickly to obtain proper Vet care!

OP
D

Darius1979

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Orange Winged Amazon
I have an article specifically about calcium i will add after this article. Good info even if isn't the cause. But trembling is listed as one of the symptoms.

Ok if you click this takes you to the page I have calcium stuff on
Hello!
I've talked to the vet and we successfully identified that he has lice.
Thank you for all the help!

Most Reactions