May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
In owning a parrot, you will encounter meltdowns. Meltdowns are where a larger parrot may scream, bite, and pull their feathers out for seemingly no reason, or a smaller parrot may scream, panic, fly around, land on a perch, and then start panicking again. This is a normal part of parrot ownership, and most parrots aren't taught how to regulate those meltdowns.

Now you may be asking, 'can I really teach my parrot to regulate meltdowns or have them less frequently?', and yes, you can, but it requires great understanding and empathy for the parrot. Here are some simple steps to help:

• Give them a safe space, and most importantly, let them know that you're a safe space. This will greatly help reduce the anxiety that often causes meltdowns. Give them human - free spaces to relax, and play soothing music for them. Some birds also benefit from darkening the room.
  • Regulate your emotions. Birds are flock animals who easily pick up on what your feeling, so if you are frustrated or unhappy at them, it will make the situation worse. If you ever feel that way, take a break. Remove yourself from them room and go take a walk or eat something, then, when you are calm again, come back to the room.
  • Sometimes, meltdowns can last all day and the best thing to do is just provide a stable, quiet environment, with lots of treats and love. If your bird has a meltdown all day, give them treats when they are doing well and try to distract them with positive things, such as training, when they're not.

Just remember to stay calm, and keep on parronting!

Here is a thread you can go to to talk about stress and just mental health in general with no judgement:

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Did my sun conure meltdown? And for what reason?

5-10 min after I put my sun conure in his cage and went downstairs, he started screaming as loudly as he could, the kind of scream was like when he would be critically threatened by something dangerous.
I rushed upstairs immediately.
He kept screaming for 5+ minutes and even I couldn't calm him down.
He was hanging onto the corner of his cage, and staring at a corner in the room. I looked into that direction and saw nothing strange.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep sometimes parrots think themselves into a corner, literally, and previously harmless items, people, music, pictures are now terrifying. Its very hard to convince them of otherwise, all you can do is be patient and loving and supportive.
Salty is going thru this with some of his trick props right now, ones we have used literally hundreds of times, which now make him scamper to the edge of the table, looking askance at the object!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Did my sun conure meltdown? And for what reason?

5-10 min after I put my sun conure in his cage and went downstairs, he started screaming as loudly as he could, the kind of scream was like when he would be critically threatened by something dangerous.
I rushed upstairs immediately.
He kept screaming for 5+ minutes and even I couldn't calm him down.
He was hanging onto the corner of his cage, and staring at a corner in the room. I looked into that direction and saw nothing strange.
Probably? I mean, meltdown and highly-freaking-out are basically the same thing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts