Parrot names taken literally

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Came across an art challenge I thought everyone would enjoy.
Here's what you do: draw any parrot name literally. For example, maybe a hawk-headed parrot gets a literal hawk's head, or a lilac-crowned amazon gets a literal lilac on its head.
It's not a competition and you can do as many drawings as you want. They can be done in digital or traditional, however you like. Be sure to tell us what it is you are drawing.
As always, be respectful and kind to others, even if you don't like their drawing. The point of this is to have fun.
I hope you enjoy!

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
My drawing remake made today just for this thread - purple crowned lorikeet!
38885c94-573e-4182-bc75-3a6b7c37c2b7.png

Later I'm gonna make another version... For Polish name πŸ˜‰

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Wow, you are much better than me - in digital I'm not able to draw even a nectarineπŸ™‚
The Polish version of purple crowned lorikeet I made in full digital:
aa6664aa-d313-4796-b993-e81023c709f7.png

Now probably you are thinking what the Polish name (nektarynka zΕ‚otoucha) means - golden eared nectarine 🀣

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I know it's pretty horrible, but this is my attempt at a king kong parrot cichlid:
View attachment 32493
You're probably wondering what this has to do with parrots, and I can explain.
The Chinese word for macaw is ι‡‘εˆšιΉ¦ιΉ‰, which literally translates into "king kong parrot". The king kong parrot fish is a species of hybrid aquarium fish, produced by crossing the blood-red parrot cichlid and the red devil cichlid. So this is a macaw drawn literally.
your macaw is better than my lorikeet :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interesting challenge that will be interesting to see the results!
Was thinking a bit about this while our Double Yellow-Headed Amazon was near by. The idea of a Double Headed Julio came flashing across my mind! That idea sent a chill down my spine as I know what he is capable of with a single bill! Two would bring true fear and vast amounts of pain.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Was thinking a bit about this while our Double Yellow-Headed Amazon was near by. The idea of a Double Headed Julio came flashing across my mind! That idea sent a chill down my spine as I know what he is capable of with a single bill! Two would bring true fear and vast amounts of pain.
Today I thought about "double headed" amazon too :D
In general I could have a lot of ideas for this game, but I don't have time enough to make so many drawings. So maybe the two drawings are the last ones... Another thing is that recently I do a lot of time wasting things such as drawing, creating parrot mini-encyclopedia, playing here in the gameroom... I just can't doing everything what I'd like or I have long time breaks (like the mini-encyclopedia)

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
i was just thinking about a double headed amazon!

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I

love this so much
Thx, it was made so askew... I'm terrible at full digital

I'm curious why people created name "double yellow headed amazon"... The IOC name is just "yellow headed amazon" so why people are so used to "double yellow headed"? It is even longer... I'd been thinkin' about it even before this thread - this really sounds like they had two heads :LOL:

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thx, it was made so askew... I'm terrible at full digital

I'm curious why people created name "double yellow headed amazon"... The IOC name is just "yellow headed amazon" so why people are so used to "double yellow headed"? It is even longer... I'd been thinkin' about it even before this thread - this really sounds like they had two heads :LOL:
Yeah, I don't understand. I guess it's cause the yellow on their heads is broken up in the middle by green. But it's hard to see that and it really seems like they should just be called "yellow headed amazons".

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...

So..........................

See................................

So.....................

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............................

So... he's from Patagonia, and, he's such a shameful, criminal personality, but he escaped to America, and... he got locked up AGAIN, and, but uh, still, so...

Some of you know I have a pet portrait business on eBay.

The first photo is a painting I did of the Rb many years ago as an illustration/example. The second photo is a somewhat literal, pun-heavy, probably-in-bad-taste rendition...

I give you --- The Patagonian Con (ure)

Rb Original.jpg
Rb Original CONVICT.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My drawing remake made today just for this thread - purple crowned lorikeet!
View attachment 32484

Later I'm gonna make another version... For Polish name πŸ˜‰
The Crown Princess in her purple crown party hat!! Thanx Roz, HRH and i approve :) (y)

Most Reactions