Parrot stop/reduce vocalising

Aggeloslos

Apr 15, 2023
Parrots
Parotlet, Indian Ringneck
Goodmorning everyone,

I have an IndianRingneck 9 months old. Before a week we moved for 3 days on countryside for Easter celebration. The bird was scared and stressed as it is his first move outside of the house. He are less and generally was a bit stressed. After we get back home (4 days) he returned to his routine, he eats perfectly maybe more, everything seems the same except for his vocals. When I leave home I have a tablet with birds and usually he screams and make noises. Only today he made some only for 2 minutes.

Do you think it is from stress and he needs time to settle back?
I am not experienced but he is not fluffed and his breath seems normal. Maybe he overpreens a little.

I appreciate you replies.

Have a nice day.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 25

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Four days isn’t a very long time! Keep an eye on him but as long as he is eating normally and behavior is otherwise normal I think he will find his way back to his usual routine with you.

You can start working with him also so that his next trip away (assuming he came with you) isn’t so stressful - short trips outside or parrot safe places in a backpack carrier work well. I like to take mine with me to cafes with outdoor seating when the weather is warm enough.

OP
A

Aggeloslos

Apr 15, 2023
Parrots
Parotlet, Indian Ringneck
Four days isn’t a very long time! Keep an eye on him but as long as he is eating normally and behavior is otherwise normal I think he will find his way back to his usual routine with you.

You can start working with him also so that his next trip away (assuming he came with you) isn’t so stressful - short trips outside or parrot safe places in a backpack carrier work well. I like to take mine with me to cafes with outdoor seating when the weather is warm enough.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried this we went together with the car for 20, 40, 60 minutes and we go for some walks. I think he didn’t scared of the car, he scared of the environment I think.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So with Ringnecks, they tend to take a bit longer to settle in than other species. They also need to be worked with almost daily in order to remain in the tame state. But my friend Ravlet is correct, 4 days is nothing in the life of a parrot. Parrots rate of acceptance of change is GLACIAL when compared to our quick monkey brains. Think weeks or months and you will be closer to the mark.

BUT - with any generalization - keep in mind that all parrots are individuals and very much their own bird. Two individuals of the same species might act totally different when compared to each other or the "norms" for that species. One might settle in in a week, the other in several months.

Also, I sincerely hope that he is either in a harness or in some sort of portable cage when you go on these walks. Even a clipped parrot is capable of flight when they are startled or really scared and the 'flight' in the flight or fight response is triggered. I have learned this from bitter, bitter experience.

Most Reactions

Latest posts