Parrotlet experience?

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I have only had two experiences with parrotlets. Both of those bear up what I have read about the species. They are tiny birds that think that they are the size of a Macaw. First experience a parrotlet was placed on a play stand at a Pet Shop along with a dozen other parrots of all different types. Cockatoos, Amazons, Conyers and a few others. This parrotlet chased all the other parrots away from one section of the play stand and proceeded to make that section its own. no fear no hesitation just went right in and started to nip at the feet of these other parrots. it was pretty amazing to see this tiny bird taking over that section of the play stand. The other time was at a bird show where all the other parrots that were on display were very calm, collected and nicely behaved. The one parrotlet that they had kept jumping off the display area and strutting around the whole store area, and constantly made the staff chase it around the store area. Both times you could see how dominant this tiny little bird was, and all the other parents gave way. Napoleon complex kicked into high gear. I could imagine keeping 1 of these birds being very absorbing. But could not see having these into your Flock and integrated really well. good luck and of course pictures, pictures, pictures.

Parrotlets are Amazons, but in a tiny body. :eek:

Sucre

Jan 16, 2016
Kentucky
Parrots
Sun conure, black capped conure, yellow sided conure, and a turquoise IRN
I have a little 6 month old dilute blue female. She is a little mess! She's the nippiest bird I have, but it doesn't hurt and she's precious. She isn't much for snuggling, but she's very active and all over the place. Her best friend in the world is a 6 month old budgie. They are very close in size and she is really sweet with the budgie for the most part, and when she does get a little bossy, the budgie holds her ground and gives it right back to the parrotlet.

I have 3 conures, but never have them out at the same time as the parrotlet and lovebirds. The parrotlet gets along fine with the lovebirds.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
Our P'let is an absolute doll. He's loving and full of personality. He's so tiny so I don't keep him around my macaws. But I think he would do well with birds his size

BudgieStew

Mar 26, 2016
I had a female parrotlet for almost 12 years..she passed away at the beginning of last year.
We only had a untamed female budge that was about 6 month older then her...and she made the rules.
The budgie was never allowed in her cage but she would spend in the budgies cage. The poor budgie was almost like her personal groomer. And she never returned the favour. She was never aggressive though but it was clear she that she was the leader.
On holidays we used to leave them with family who also had birds but we never allowed interaction with their CAG. Only the other budgies and morning dove.
Noise wise we had no issues...she only chattered softly to us when she wanted out. She ate a varied diet. In fact she was guilty of stealing chicken off the supper plate a time or two.
She was very protective of her cage for many years....I think it wasn't until she was around 9 years that she wasn't nippy about it. She was a mix of the sweetest bundle of green feathers and a spitfire that let you know that she wasn't happy with the colour of the shirt you were wearing.
Sadly the last two years of her life she started laying eggs and despite my best efforts I think this is what contributed to her ill health and what I would consider a premature death. She was no longer able to fly the last year.

She preferred males to females...she bonded more closely with my ex husband and then my boyfriend then with me.
I'm actually on the forum today because I plan on contacting her breeder to see if there is a new little girl waiting for her forever home and looking to see what is new in the bird world.

Most Reactions

Latest posts