Parrots Bill of Rights

Gshepdog

Aug 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Parrots
Dusty 35 y/o Orange Wing Amazon and Perrott 18 y/o Double Yellow Headed Amazon
I tell all my friends with dogs that training parrots takes the utmost in patience.
Just one wrong move with a parrot can destroy months of work. They are like having
little toddlers around that do what they want.

Lee

BeakersBro

Dec 27, 2012
Parrots
Beaker: Cape Parrot
I like this bill of rights, but I would like to add something.

A parrot is a very little and helpless bird that cannot stand its ground or defend itself in any meaningful way against a big lumbering human.

If he wants to go in his cage, I let him. If he is in cage, I do not grab him and make him come out. If he wants to come out, he will step up onto my finger, or he'll come out himself.

If I am holding him and he squirms or indicate that he wants to be released, I let him go immediately.

Please allow your parrot to have his own space. Sometimes they just want to chill out without being held. You will see that if you respect your bird's wishes, your bird will love you even more.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
Oh, my goodness...love this "Bill of Rights"!

Helpthisgrey

Apr 1, 2013
This is so creative and true! back to the jungle thing they actually spend 50-70% of daylight forageing for food so be kind and buy me a foraging toy! :grey:

Most Reactions