Paying for registration?

Halo1

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
African Grays
so recently I have been looking for another African Gray parrot. Itā€™s been hardā€¦. I am looking but some people are trying to tell me that I have to do a change of ownership to rehome a parrot and they want $300.00 to do this paperwork. I have never been asked this before.. have you?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard! I am not familiar with costly rehoming paperwork. Where are you located?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I found two groups. One is US $5, the other is Euro 31.

I'm buying an African/Timneh grey, do I need a CITES certificate?​

If youā€™re buying an African or Timneh grey parrot you wonā€™t need to apply for a certificate. But you will need to see the pet sellerā€™s certificate or be given the certificate.

If you already own a Grey, and donā€™t intend on selling it, you donā€™t need a certificate, and the regulation doesnā€™t affect you. However, if you ever want to sell your bird, you will need a certificate.

How much does a CITES certificate cost?​

An Article 10 certificate costs Ā£31 (as of October 2018). This is the fee for one certificate for one parrot.

source:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
so recently I have been looking for another African Gray parrot. Itā€™s been hardā€¦. I am looking but some people are trying to tell me that I have to do a change of ownership to rehome a parrot and they want $300.00 to do this paperwork. I have never been asked this before.. have you?
Many rescue organizations ask for a ā€œrehoming feeā€ before they adopt out birds. This is to weed out folks who are just trying to flip a bird for a quick profit, and also to make sure the person is committed to caring for the bird. Birds are expensive - they need properly sized cages which are usually big and expensive for a gray, they need high quality food, lots of toys to destroy, expensive vet care, and most importantly they need to live with humans who will spend time with them and interact with them. Sometimes people might watch a funny video of a bird and decide on impulse to adopt one. But adopting a parrot isnā€™t like adopting a cat from a shelter. Parrots live a long time, and any rescue wants to be as sure as they can that the bird is going to a forever home. Thatā€™s why there is almost always a fee, and $300 isnā€™t a very high one.
On the other hand, they could be scammers who donā€™t even have a bird and are just trying to get your money. Do a ā€œreverse image searchā€ on Google ā€¦ scammers usually post pics of birds they copied from someone elseā€™s website. Anyone advertising birds or I think any pets on Craigslist is a scammer, because itā€™s not allowed. FB Marketplace the same thing, beware of anyone advertising a bird. Iā€™m sure there are bird rescues near you that can give you good info for your search.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
ā€¦Anyone advertising birds or I think any pets on Craigslist is a scammer, because itā€™s not allowedā€¦
I just double checked this because I was sure Iā€™ve seen pets on craigslist before. Craigslist seems to prohibit posting for Sale, but allows listing them for Re-Homing.

NOT to say Craigslist is great to find a bird, just, itā€™s not Automatically a scam.

That said, I would tend to think OP is probably looking at a scam. But the red flag I would see would be ā€œRegistrationā€ fee.

I mean you could check with your local city. But Iā€™ve never heard of towns requiring registration of anything other than dogs or cats, and even so it would be You doing the registering, you paying fee to Your local govt, after you got the pet.

Otherwise if someone Selling you a bird, they should charge you a sales price., Or else a ā€œrehomingā€ fee. Calling it a Registration fee seems very scammish to me.

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
You are right, CL does allow ā€œrehomingā€ of pets and itā€™s not always a scam or someone trying to get around the no-pet-sales restrictions by calling it a rehoming fee.

Most Reactions

Latest posts