PDD in Cockatoo

judy & Big Bird

May 30, 2022
Parrots
Umbrella Cockato and 2 African Greys
My 15 yr old U2 had a seizure last week. After he came out of it he wasnā€™t acting himself so off to the avian vet we went. Everything looked normal but something in his X-ray. She then tested for PDD. We havenā€™t gotten results back yet but she put him on Meloxicam and he seems totally back to normal now. My question is how could this bird thatā€™s been in my house for 12 years have something like this? Could the diagnosis be confused with something else? Iā€™m heartbroken right now worried that my baby has something so bad. Does anyone have any experience with this?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My 15 yr old U2 had a seizure last week. After he came out of it he wasnā€™t acting himself so off to the avian vet we went. Everything looked normal but something in his X-ray. She then tested for PDD. We havenā€™t gotten results back yet but she put him on Meloxicam and he seems totally back to normal now. My question is how could this bird thatā€™s been in my house for 12 years have something like this? Could the diagnosis be confused with something else? Iā€™m heartbroken right now worried that my baby has something so bad. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sometimes illnesses like PDD may lay dormant for years, until oneday the bird's immune system is a bit weak and an infection begins.. so sorry to hear about this. I will pray for both of you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Unfortunately I think that is one that takes a long time to show symptoms from. No experience with in mine.
I'm sorry if that's the diagnosis , but hopefully will get Ruled out.

Continuing to share your journey will help others and educate us all.

And we can cheer Big Bird on

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I do have a parrot with bornavirus. Some believe that this leads to PDD. It's thought that bornavirus is in 80% of birds in captivity. Only certain birds show symptoms, and we manage this through medications. I would say to wait until you get the test results back. There is so much support for this. It really can be managed. I am not very familiar with PDD. I assume it's the next step. Keep us updated!

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. I hope your umbrella cockatoo is okay.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy