Pellets for Amazon

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
What type of pellets do you think are the easiest to transition a red lored amazon to? I have tried Harrison's both regular and peppered, Roudy bush, Bird Bistro, Tops, and Nutri -berries. He won't eat any of these. He will eat Avi cakes, bananas, apples, and of course seeds. Originally, he didn't seem to know what a nut was either, but three weeks later he has decided to try almonds, cashews, and walnuts. I can't get him to eat a vegetable. I don't know his history. He has been to an avian vet who said he was a juvenile.

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
México
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
I recommend two brands which have helped me to encourage Perlita to eat pellets. Despite some breeders may not like them, I have noticed an improvement in Perlita’s feather color and general health (as a chick she used to be fed tortillas and beer by her first owner; later she only liked to eat sunflower seeds and few veggies). I have also used this brands to feed my budgies and they like them.

• Zupreem FruitBlend:
Their taste, colors and sizes are attractive. I recommend you this presentation (with the African Gray picture) because the pellet size is perfect to grab and eat. This is Perlita’s favorite. It can be found easily at supermarkets or pet stores.
15994BBC-84C0-4A1A-A480-326865B510A2.jpeg

You may find there’s a “natural” option (no colors), however I DO NOT recommend you this if your bird is starting to eat pellets, as Natural pellets are bigger and too difficult to chew for Amazons.
8CDDD100-151B-4CE7-8882-7D9848EFCD51.jpeg

Also, both FruitBlend and Natural taste the same. 😅😂

• Psittacus:
These pellets are a little softer, but still tasty and have a good size to grab and eat. This is a good option too, I “discovered” this brand when I could not find Zupreem FruitBlend. Surprisingly, Perlita liked it.
1856E7EB-E1EF-4169-8F66-C0D80BCC4D73.jpeg

Psittacus has an online store

I hope this helps your little one to enjoy eating pellets.

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
I recommend two brands which have helped me to encourage Perlita to eat pellets. Despite some breeders may not like them, I have noticed an improvement in Perlita’s feather color and general health (as a chick she used to be fed tortillas and beer by her first owner; later she only liked to eat sunflower seeds and few veggies). I have also used this brands to feed my budgies and they like them.

• Zupreem FruitBlend:
Their taste, colors and sizes are attractive. I recommend you this presentation (with the African Gray picture) because the pellet size is perfect to grab and eat. This is Perlita’s favorite. It can be found easily at supermarkets or pet stores.
View attachment 45881
You may find there’s a “natural” option (no colors), however I DO NOT recommend you this if your bird is starting to eat pellets, as Natural pellets are bigger and too difficult to chew for Amazons.
View attachment 45882

• Psittacus:
These pellets are a little softer, but still tasty and have a good size to grab and eat. This is a good option too, I “discovered” this brand when I could not find Zupreem FruitBlend. Surprisingly, Perlita liked it.
View attachment 45883

Thank you!

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
The ZuPreem Fruit Blend pellets seem to be popular with lots of parrots (including mine). Another one that Ralph likes is Higgins InTune, which are also fruit flavored pellets.

For parrots new to eating pellets or reluctant to eat them, I always recommend soaking some pellets in water or unsweetened fruit juice. Even though Ralph eats dry pellets he still likes to get some softened ones every day. I just put some pellets in a small glass (a shot glass works well) and add just enough liquid to moisten the pellets. I let them sit for a few minutes until they soften then offer some to Ralph from a small spoon. I also put some at the bottom edge of his cage, foraging style. Ralph likes that. Any uneaten softened pellets should be thrown out after an hour or so to avoid bacterial growth. A lot of parrots who aren't used to eating dry pellets will eat the softened ones.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If he will eat Avicake, try the Nutra Berries. One good thing is they come in different 'flavors' so he would get some variety. Salty likes these a lot, and he does eat Avicake.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Do you have photos of your Red Lored Amazon.?

I love to see them. I miss my Red Lored Pacho so much

Soaking the pellets in juice does help.
I think I used apple juice.
If your amazon sees other parrots in your flock eating veggies it may help him/her to try them more.

Last edited:
OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Do you have photos of your Red Lored Amazon.?

I love to see them. I miss my Red Lored Pacho so much

Soaking the pellets in juice does help.
I think I used apple juice.
If your amazon sees other parrots in your flock eating veggies it may help him/her to try them more.
I am attaching some photos. He was in rough shape when I got him and still looks a little rough.
I don't know the history of him other than he was considered contraband. He was under weight, had a respiratory infection, and a wound on his head and above his eye that was infected. The vet guess on age was five to six months. He was DNA tested as a boy. Originally, he was rated as a one for weight and weighed 195 grams, but last week he moved into the 3 category with his weight being 310 as of a few days ago. Avi-cakes are his main source of diet at this point. He will eat out of my hand, and I was surprised when I took the pictures how close he allowed me to come with the camera, so that is progress. Even though his blood work has come back with everything that I was concerned about being negative, and he just finished up 14 days of Enrofloxacin, he is still being keep away from my Electus because I am paranoid.

Attachments

• Tito3.jpg
    Tito3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Tito2.jpg
    Tito2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Tito.jpg
    Tito.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 52

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
He’s beautiful.
you might want to try him on birdie bread.
its a good way to get him to eat veggies and other good stuff like sweet potatoe.

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
He’s beautiful.
you might want to try him on birdie bread.
its a good way to get him to eat veggies and other good stuff like sweet potatoe.
Thank you! It is funny that you said that because I just watched a video on using birdie bread to convert a parrot. My Electus will eat anything, so this has been a whole new experience.

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
México
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
I am attaching some photos. He was in rough shape when I got him and still looks a little rough.
I don't know the history of him other than he was considered contraband. He was under weight, had a respiratory infection, and a wound on his head and above his eye that was infected. The vet guess on age was five to six months. He was DNA tested as a boy. Originally, he was rated as a one for weight and weighed 195 grams, but last week he moved into the 3 category with his weight being 310 as of a few days ago. Avi-cakes are his main source of diet at this point. He will eat out of my hand, and I was surprised when I took the pictures how close he allowed me to come with the camera, so that is progress. Even though his blood work has come back with everything that I was concerned about being negative, and he just finished up 14 days of Enrofloxacin, he is still being keep away from my Electus because I am paranoid.
He's cute 💚

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What a handsome bird! If I were not in an apartment I would want an Amazon. I love watching those YouTube videos of people singing and playing guitar and jamming with their operatic amazon parrots.

My Lucy Quaker used to sing but she had no clue what pitch was. Amazons definitely understand pitch.

Last edited:

MajesticMealy

Nov 28, 2022
Parrots
Mealy Amazon
Plumheaded Parakeets
Moustache parakeets
Have you tried the cake method with Harrissons? I transitioned my Mealy in less than a week!

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Have you tried the cake method with Harrissons? I transitioned my Mealy in less than a week!
I have and he wouldn't eat it. I did try a generic birdie bread recipe today and added Roudybush and he ate it. Today he would eat the Roudybush pellets, but he won't touch the Harrisons which I would have preferred. For now I am happy with the Roudybush over seed.

MajesticMealy

Nov 28, 2022
Parrots
Mealy Amazon
Plumheaded Parakeets
Moustache parakeets
I have and he wouldn't eat it. I did try a generic birdie bread recipe today and added Roudybush and he ate it. Today he would eat the Roudybush pellets, but he won't touch the Harrisons which I would have preferred. For now I am happy with the Roudybush over seed.
Did you try it moist with lots of seeds on it first?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It can be so hard to get them to eat better, especially veggies. Our big YNA Sammy still avoids veg as much as possible. We offer a different variety each week and she’s been nibbling it more often now, but it’s been nearly six months!

Bird bread is great if you can get them to go for it; TOPS puts out a pretty good premix. Also, Christine’s Chop Shop (online) does birdie brittle, which is made with things like pumpkin or sweet potato and a bit of healthy seed mix into a “chip” or brittle format. They sell sample sizes and I got some of each kind they have for stocking stuffers for our birdies.

What a beautiful baby! I’m so glad they found you; they’re in good hands now. ❤️

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
It can be so hard to get them to eat better, especially veggies. Our big YNA Sammy still avoids veg as much as possible. We offer a different variety each week and she’s been nibbling it more often now, but it’s been nearly six months!

Bird bread is great if you can get them to go for it; TOPS puts out a pretty good premix. Also, Christine’s Chop Shop (online) does birdie brittle, which is made with things like pumpkin or sweet potato and a bit of healthy seed mix into a “chip” or brittle format. They sell sample sizes and I got some of each kind they have for stocking stuffers for our birdies.

What a beautiful baby! I’m so glad they found you; they’re in good hands now. ❤️
Thank you! I have two different types of birdie bread from Tops and Tequilla (my Electus) loves it. I tried the blueberry version and added more fruit, but he wouldn't even take a bite. I even put a little walnut in the center to try and entice him and nope wasn't interested. Picture on the left

I made a from scratch birdie bread and added the Roudybush pellets, along with banana, apple, zucchini, and sweet potato. He loved these. Picture on the right.

I didn't know about Christine's Chop Shop. I will have to take a look. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20221127_163618.jpg
    thumbnail_20221127_163618.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 38
  • thumbnail_20221128_123410.jpg
    thumbnail_20221128_123410.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 39

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

• Zupreem FruitBlend:
View attachment 45881
View attachment 45882

• Psittacus:
View attachment 45883

What about getting the Zupreem natural in cockatiel size? Those pellets are the same stuff as the natural but smaller, like bb sized.

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
What about getting the Zupreem natural in cockatiel size? Those pellets are the same stuff as the natural but smaller, like bb sized.
Thanks for the idea, but I have finally gotten him to eat the Roudybush and Lafeber's tropical fruit pellets. I tried the Psittacus, and they have an awesome smell, but he doesn't seem to like them. The Lafeber pellets seem to be his favorite.

Most Reactions

Latest posts