People in Asia Free Flight Smaller Birds (Lovebirds, Parakeets, Cockatiels & Ringnecks, mainly)....why is it more discouraged in North America?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I see....I was wondering why some of the FF trainers who were stating they have been able to successfully FF Cockatiels, Lovebirds and GC conures were advising against Budgies, especially.

Do you think it will be the same thing for similary sized Grass-keets like bourkes and Turqs? And bigger ones like Rock Pebbler, Princess of Wales and King Parrot...they are all Aussie too...and considered parakeets..
Yep, I meant all these kinds in general. I watched a video made by an experience ff person (who created own free flight bird park) and she was trying to ff some of these kinds - right now only a single rock pebbler is free flighted in her park. She was trying with a king parrot too but she had to stop it because of the bird's untypical visits

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My friend keeps parrotlets and while theyā€™re charming and intelligent as all get out, they seem to have a naughty streak a mile wide. I canā€™t imagine free flighting one; theyā€™re the size of a house sparrow but whip-smart.

I think like others have said itā€™s really more that big birds are easy to hear, spot, and recover. However, theyā€™re your bird, and it is up to you to decide what risks you feel are worth taking.

Sera

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Nanday conure
Sun conure
Kakariki
Quaker
Careful! Youā€™re almost broaching a cultural question that could generate someā€¦friction on this multicultural forum. Different countries tend to have different standards of care, and will defend them as ā€œdifferent ways of doing thingsā€. North Americans are no different.

The argument goes like this:
Small birds areā€¦smaller. If they fly off, theyā€™re near impossible to see and hear, making recovering significantly harder compared to a macaw you can see and hear from a distance.

That alone creates a level of risk that many in North America deem unacceptable to take.

Seems reasonable minds can debate maneuverability of smaller parrots absent actual evidence. Iā€™m of the belief that theyā€™re more prone to predation, which lends to my strong belief they arenā€™t suitable candidates for free flight.

They can also be a bit more flighty than larger parrots, prone to scares. Think about it: often medium and large parrots in a home often prefer walking to flight. Smaller birds will take flight quickly. Bigger risk for fly offs.
I dint think their post would offend anyone, itā€™s a genuine question. I also see a lot of free flighted birds in my home country but here no one really does it as much. The ones I see out and about are always clipped and personally I hate clipping their wings, I never understood getting an animal and taking away whatā€™s most dear to them. But I donā€™t know how and thereā€™s not much out there to help me free fly my bird which Iā€™ve always wanted to do. I wish it was more normalized here. But not saying that it doesnā€™t happen, it does but those people either sell their help or donā€™t post about it, but itā€™s too expensive for me to hire a professional.

Sera

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Nanday conure
Sun conure
Kakariki
Quaker
I had to look elsewhere for free flight communities for small bird coz it's hard to find one in North America for smaller birds. Eventually, I may just start one...starting with Indoor in large places (with a pro guiding us of course).
Please start one and add me, i dont have a bird as small as a budgie and donā€™t plan on getting one because Iā€™m too scared but I do have conures and Iā€™d love to free fly them someday. Also when I took my nanday conure out while he was still young and barely knew how to fly, the wind took him away while he was flying back and forth to me and my sister. The only way I figured where he was was yelling his name and heā€™d scream back to, but I wouldnā€™t have that luxury with a budgie since their voices arenā€™t as loud. But Iā€™ve wanted to free fly ever since Iā€™ve heard the concept of it

Most Reactions