Pet Supermarket

inkspider

Jun 8, 2021
st. augustine florida
Parrots
Roman GCC
So of the local places around me I have found PetCo and PetSmart (neither of which I support or will ever support) but there is also a place called PetSupermarket. I bought a bird cage and a few toys there the other day and seeing their birds it looks as though they care for them well but I'm worried that they buy from and support animal mills. Does anyone have info on the practices of this company?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I unfortunately don’t, But do have what I’m reasonably sure is the same market up the road and they do have budgies and conures.

I personally make it a point never to buy pets from a pet shop since you don’t know where they are coming from. Best to buy straight from the breeder, which is often cheaper anyways.

OP
I

inkspider

Jun 8, 2021
st. augustine florida
Parrots
Roman GCC
Thank you so much! I will hopefully be buying from a breeder but I wonder about buying supplies their and supporting their practices if they're not great. I have the power to order much of the supplies online, though I do like going in person to see the product before buying it, but if Pet Supermarket is not a place I would like to support I would order supplies.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Totally understand. Its a question of are you comfortable NOT knowing...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Kudos for taking enlightened approach to sourcing your future GCC and supplies. Not familiar with PetSupermarket but they've been operating since 1973: https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/pet-supermarket
Owned by Roark Capital, an investment firm with at least a platitudinous set of corporate guidelines: https://www.roarkcapital.com/philosophy

I used to purchase food + supplies from locally owned sources, an increasingly challenging proposition! Still do on occasion, primary vendor is online seller limited to bird related items.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! Yes, Pet Supermarket is popular in Florida! Overall, a good place! They were bought out a few years ago. But remember, any store is only as good as it’s manager! My daughter was an assistant manager for several years and they were all encouraged to interact with the birds daily! Their prices are much closer to reality, compared to the big two!

Most Reactions