HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Hi everyone.
Unfortunately I found Peter at the bottom of the aviary this morning. Fluffed you and unwell. I caught him easily and bought him inside. I gave him a small dose of metacam before I had to leave for work.
Typically I was at the vet yesterday for my dog to be vaccinated! Now itā€™s the weekend and the only avian vet in the area does not do the weekend emergencies.
I did phone them vets for advice though. They said it was okay for me to home medicate for the weekend and if no improvement I of course will take him straight to the vet Monday morning.
The vet nurse was a little unhelpful on the phone as they havenā€™t seen Peter before therefore weā€™re not allowed to advice me on dosage.
So my question is, how much dog metacam should I give a male budgie? Once a day or twice?
I also have old Baytril which they said wonā€™t hurt him.. should I give this also? Or see how he goes on the metacam first?
He doesnā€™t have a messy vent but his poops have been slightly watery today as well as a few solid ones. When I left for work he was on the floor of the hospital cage. Boyfriend messaged me at lunch time with a photo of him on the perch.
He tonight he is still on the perch and looking alert enough but of course, still under the weather.
We had a huge storm the night before last, perhaps he got cold and knocked around?
Really hope he is going to be okay.
Any advice welcome. Thank you.
64A76A72-0D77-4619-8FF4-0D69B248F018.jpeg
image.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would not give the pain medication.
I PMd you
Even if it is warm there , keeping the bird at 85f ( i don't know Celsius) or providing supplemental warmth is extremely beneficial fir sick birds. They burn a crap ton of calories to maintain body temperature with their air sack, hollow bones, huge surface area . So saving them , extra warmth is very important.

As are high calories, so provide with in reasin any foods will eat. Staying away from sugary foods that will cause digestive diarrhea. If will take baby burd formula that can be helpful, it complete nutrition, and even some can be supportive to what they are eating.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

I would not give the pain medication.
I PMd you
Even if it is warm there , keeping the bird at 85f ( i don't know Celsius) or providing supplemental warmth is extremely beneficial fir sick birds. They burn a crap ton of calories to maintain body temperature with their air sack, hollow bones, huge surface area . So saving them , extra warmth is very important.

As are high calories, so provide with in reasin any foods will eat. Staying away from sugary foods that will cause digestive diarrhea. If will take baby burd formula that can be helpful, it complete nutrition, and even some can be supportive to what they are eating.

Thanks.
I spoke to a vet over the phone and they were happy for me to give the metacam. I will order doxycycline as you suggested. But will probably take over a week to arrive.
I will take the day off work and take him to the vet on Monday.
Weather is very up and down at the moment. Got him indoors now. Should be warmer and out of any drafts.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hannah I'm so sorry to hear about sweet little Pete. How is your lovely little man doing this morning?

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Hannah I'm so sorry to hear about sweet little Pete. How is your lovely little man doing this morning?
Heā€™s ok..but just ok. He flew down to get some seed this morning and also ate some millet. He also gave himself a quick preen. So thatā€™s great. But other than that he is sitting quietly and feeling sorry for himself.
I just gave him his metacam, and he puts a little fight which is good too!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh poor baby! He is of course in the very best of hands though with you, Hannah. Wishing both of you all the very best for your vet visit tomorrow! šŸ™ šŸ¤ž

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
All the best, Hannah, Iā€™m sos sorry heā€™s feeling unwell. At least heā€™s eating and pooping, always the first sign of promise!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
He has eaten a bit more, preened himself some more. And also did a few little chirps!
Yay!! Good for you, you sweet little guy:) Continuing to send positive vibes and cyber hugs to you both šŸ¤—

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

He is looking much brighter this evening!
He is currently sitting in the sun eating and preening.
Flying up and down to the perch nice and briskly.
Excuse the boxes behind the cage. We are in the process of moving! (Just bought our first house!)
800C7A13-5E5B-4353-A2AC-20A20997696F.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Woohoo!! Good man, Pete! You be a good little birdie for your mama and have something to eat before bedtime too, ok??

And congratulations Hannah on your dive into homeownership too! That's hugely exciting! Is the new property somewhere close to where you are now, and will you be taking your Birdie Shangri-La with you?

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Woohoo!! Good man, Pete! You be a good little birdie for your mama and have something to eat before bedtime too, ok??

And congratulations Hannah on your dive into homeownership too! That's hugely exciting! Is the new property somewhere close to where you are now, and will you be taking your Birdie Shangri-La with you?

Thanks so much!
Itā€™s not too far from where we are now, a different area and a little further to work. New area and new opportunities eventually hopefully :)
We move in next week! And yes birdos are definitely coming along! Looking forward to getting them a much larger aviary once we are settled and have a little bit of spare money.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Peter has been improving and doing well. I didnā€™t take him to the vets Monday as he was very perky and I couldnā€™t easily get the day off work. I would have rushed him straight in if i felt worried though!
But I finally have a day off tomorrow so he is booked in at the vets in the afternoon.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thanks so much!
Itā€™s not too far from where we are now, a different area and a little further to work. New area and new opportunities eventually hopefully :)
We move in next week! And yes birdos are definitely coming along! Looking forward to getting them a much larger aviary once we are settled and have a little bit of spare money.
Peter has been improving and doing well. I didnā€™t take him to the vets Monday as he was very perky and I couldnā€™t easily get the day off work. I would have rushed him straight in if i felt worried though!
But I finally have a day off tomorrow so he is booked in at the vets in the afternoon.
All awesome news, Hannah, thank you for updating! I'm so glad Peter has perked up, perhaps it was just that bit of wild weather that knocked him around a bit, the poor little mite. Hoping he gets a clean bill of health at the vet's tomorrow, and I am VERY much looking forward to seeing the even more luxurious digs that you will build for them at Birdie Shangri-La Mark 2! :D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am glad Peter seems to be feeling much better, Hannah. Sometimes parrots just strain a muscle in plain old fooling around in their cage or flying around. Salty has a habit of straining his beak muscles in his fervor to destroy a toy or fighting it out with his bell. He eats poorly for a day or 2 and then bounces back. Had him to his vet several times for that, and they gave me some metacalm if it should happen again.

PS, it just did this past weekend. 2 days of being laid back and being very gentle and ginger with his beak, now back to killing toys. Hard to keep a good parrot down, right?

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

I am glad Peter seems to be feeling much better, Hannah. Sometimes parrots just strain a muscle in plain old fooling around in their cage or flying around. Salty has a habit of straining his beak muscles in his fervor to destroy a toy or fighting it out with his bell. He eats poorly for a day or 2 and then bounces back. Had him to his vet several times for that, and they gave me some metacalm if it should happen again.

PS, it just did this past weekend. 2 days of being laid back and being very gentle and ginger with his beak, now back to killing toys. Hard to keep a good parrot down, right?
Thank you wrench!
Peter has been sneezing a little this week so I do think it was more on the lines of a slight cold/infection. He went to the vets today, we saw a vet that I havenā€™t seen before but she was nice. Seemed to know birds. She wasnā€™t over concerned with his symptoms and said that Iā€™d already done her job for her. She was happy that Iā€™d been giving him metecam. She thinks he is on the road to recovery so no need for antibiotics. But if he deteriorates, or has another bad spell we will put him on a course. She said it was okay to put him back out in the aviary, so Iā€™ve done that when I got home. So far he is just sitting on a branch looking a little sorry for himself, but heā€™s had a big day so hopefully a good sleep and he will feel happier tomorrow. On the drive home he was very perky and trying to escape the cage, he was also chirping so fingers crossed heā€™ll be okay in no time.
Kind of wishing Iā€™d left him indoors one last night as itā€™s a bit chilly.. but heā€™s out now. If he looks bad in the morning Iā€™ll bring him back in for the weekend.
3E4951A1-2AAB-463B-8AF7-E4C41FF70492.jpeg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Finding this late Hannah, so glad Peter rebounded with your love and care! Congratulations on your new home, may you find joy and plenty more fids!!

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Finding this late Hannah, so glad Peter rebounded with your love and care! Congratulations on your new home, may you find joy and plenty more fids!!

Thank you Scott! Peter is still under the weather, but heā€™s slowly getting there. Heā€™s eating etc. But just not moving around very much. Perhaps @wrench13 is right, maybe he has pulled a muscle, as he isnā€™t flying too well. Heā€™s climbing a lot!
Iā€™m keeping a close eye on him.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you Scott! Peter is still under the weather, but heā€™s slowly getting there. Heā€™s eating etc. But just not moving around very much. Perhaps @wrench13 is right, maybe he has pulled a muscle, as he isnā€™t flying too well. Heā€™s climbing a lot!
Iā€™m keeping a close eye on him.
Seems a good assumption, time will surely tell!! Hopefully Peter will fully recover sooner than later!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts