Pewpew has an overgrown beak

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hello! I am posting this in hopes of documenting my Pewpew's health issues and helping someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. If I can get helpful advice along the way, even better!

Two weeks ago (5/7/17), I noticed that Pewpew, one of my two parakeets, had an overgrown beak. He is male, 2 years old, got him from Petco (back when I didn't know any better). He is flighted, vocal and active, but quite wary of me still. His diet consists of parakeet seed mix (90%), Broccoli (5%), jalapeno (5%). He ignores all other fruits and veggies. His supplements include Nekton vitamin powder (added to water), probiotic powder (added to water), dried habanero, mineral block, cuttlebone. My biggest mistake was his seet diet, more on that later. His cage implements include rough and normal perches, wood chew toys, shreddy toys, etc. My other parakeet, Kiki, is very active and playful.

The symptoms I noticed were a twice than normal long, curved beak. Never noticed it before because he always has it buried in his feathers. I noticed small dark spots on his nails and one large dark spot on his beak. From my readings, those suggested fatty liver disease which is caused by a fatty diet (i.e. seeds and treats). He flies around and plays, but he's always been the less active and subdued between the two parakeets, even when they were babies.

I took him to the vet a few days ago. Took me a while to build up the courage because I heard horror stories of parakeets dying from the stress of getting examined or beaks cut. I gave the vet all of Pewpew's stats, diet, symptoms and my worries about fatty liver disease. His answer was not what I expected exactly. I always make vet journals so I remember how the visit took place, I'll paste his comments below:

• Long beak is very soft. He cut though it like butter he said. Highly likely to be calcium deficient. He may not have been chewing enough on cuttlebone and mineral blocks. Prescribed calcium drops (Neocal / Calcionate Syrup 2 CCs per 4 ounces water daily for 30 days. Cost: $30). Beak may grow back in 2 weeks at which point I must see him again. He said also that it may not grow back. He said that the overgrown beak may have been a reaction from the calcium deficiency. Strange I know. He described the bird's body as going defensive to prevent beak breakage so it pads it with more beak, so it gets longer.

• Has benign fatty tumors on chest. This is a combo of bad genetics and diet.

• Fatty liver disease is not as likely but it's not being ruled out. He said the black spots on the beak and nails are likely just his natural coloration, that blue parakeets tend to have these markings. Personally, I'm not quite 100% on this diagnosis. I hope it's the case.

• Did not see the need for blood work at this time. If beak continues to grow, must see doctor again after 1 month for blood work.

• He approved the use of the following supplements: Regular Calcium Drops (new), Aloe Detox Herbal Formula (also new, for liver detox), Milk Thistle Powder (also new, also for liver detox), Probiotic Powder (current), Nekton Multivitamin Powder (current).

Changes Moving Forward:

I am changing his diet to primarily pellets. Doing it very slowly. So far no luck. I read somewhere that a good tactic is to serve seeds 2 times a day for 15 mins, then take out the seed dish and leave pellets. It's enough to sustain them and will force them to eat seeds. Haven't done it yet, seems quite severe. For now, I'll just slowly increase the ratio. If that doesn't work, I'll try the more severe tactic. I am also increasing the ratio of broccoli and jalapeno, which means giving less seeds. Also introducing veggie/fruit/grain/pasta chopmix with seeds sprinkled on top to entice him.

I am giving them more sunlight. Doctor said 5 mins per week is sufficient and the rest they can get from vitamin d3 in their multivitamins. I was very surprised to hear how little sun is needed. I'm sure a bit more would not hurt. Because I work full time, it's a challenge. As soon as I get home from work, I wheel their cage to the front door to get the later afternoon sun. On weekends, they join my conure for a morning sun bathing on their indoor jungle perch.

I added mineral blocks on every cage perch. Added more rough perches as well so he can keep up on his beak grooming.

On supplements, as long as I finish the 30 day potent calcium drops from the vet, I will add Nekton Mineral Power (high in calcium) to their seed mix. Will alternate with milk thistle powder (they seem to hate this one). Will also add the aloe vera detox drops to their water. Will continue the use of probiotic powder and Nekton multivitamin power. I'll be sure to alternate. Because the supplements are mixed w/ water and food and not a direct administration, I feel like the risk of overdose is small. What do you guys think? Does this seem overkill?

Sorry for the long post. I'll try to update as often as I can. I hope someone finds this helpful. Any tips are deeply appreciated!

(photos below, Pewpew is the blue one)

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_4540.jpg
    IMG_4540.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_6165.jpg
    IMG_6165.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi just reading through your long post and have a couple of comments to make.

Please be careful that Aloe Detox contains everything that is OK for birds? If there is Milk Thistle in this also then you will be double dosing.

Have RB2 with FLD and Aloe Detox not made a fat lot of difference. Healthy foods do please go ahead with this. Best to keep seeds to treats if poss. A good quality Organic pellet can help also. I personally use TOPs Organics, he liked the crumplets, https://topsparrotfood.com/product/tops-crumplets/ these are softer than Harrisons and may be better re the soft beak.
Query 5 minutes a week sunlight? They do need to be not behind glass to achieve any benefit. You can also get a full spectrum light, Plum seems perkier after having used his.
Sympton of FLD is fast growth of nails and beak, Plums nails needed doing every six weeks at one time.
Milk thistle has a strong taste and this is why it isnt taken to very easily.
Bloodwork will confirm FLD as will give cholesterol reading as will scan or x-ray re enlargement of liver.
If you give seed they will eat seed, it is like us being given chocolate with every meal of Broccoli, what would you eat first ha ha?
The thing I would advise is to make sure that you are not double dosing stuff.
Sorry for very succinct reply as short of time this morning. They are lovely birds and hope Pewpew improves.

Please read this http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2430. Remember that they only stop eating when they feel very unwell. Any yellowing of poop as this is a sign of FLD. The link indicates that the soft beak is a sign of FLD in budgies unfortunately. It mentions Lactulose and Plum has been prescribed this.

I am left confused by your AV to be honest, doesn't test for FLD but has prescribed potions relating to it. Have you asked what is their experience of birds with FLD?

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww22eii.htm

http://budgerigarsforum.proboards.com/thread/491/calcium

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHoRLKFmhqU"]Green Treats for Budgies & Pet Birds are Weeds to Many 170810 - YouTube[/ame]

FYI http://www.thebirdschool.com/parrot-feed/chickweed-just-a-weed-and-budgie-treat/#.WSK2c8b_rDc

Last edited:

Scoza

Feb 5, 2017
Australi
Parrots
GCC
Is it an American thing to refer to budgerigars as parakeets. I live in Australia where budgies are native and have never really heard of them referred to in this way. Is it a term that only applies to budgies or is it a more generic term for small parrots. Only really become familiar with it since Ive followed this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
From the top, is Pewpew seeing an experienced avian vet? I am concerned varied supplements are prescribed without empirical evidence from a blood chemistry profile. It is possible the symptoms follow a known syndrome, and I am unfamiliar with parakeets.

While diet modification is challenging, it is often helpful to segregate the less healthy seeds. IMO providing pellets and veggies/fruits the bulk of the day is helpful. My technique is to serve chop during the bulk of the day (limited by local temperature) and give dry food in the morning/evening. To simplify, I'd combine seed/pellets in gradually declining portions of the seed.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Plumsmum, Scott, Scoza, thank you so much for the comments and advice! I really appreciate all the support. I went over each of your posts once. I'll address the ones that stood out on my initial response. I'll go over the ones I missed on a second response.

On Pewpew's vet, he's a certified Avian Vet whose been in practice for years (he's like 60 or 65 I think). He is one of the top rated avian vets in the LA county area. His style has always been laid back and seems to avoid escalation. I guess conservative is the word. I'm basing this off the simple (but effective) treatment he gave my sun conure when he had a bad concussion. That said, I still have a nagging feeling that Pewpew might have fatty liver disease based off my amateur research. I'll see how the prescribed calcium treatment goes. In the meantime, I'll start the transition to a low fat diet and using the liver detox supplements the vet approved (I suggested these supplementsby the way, he just gave me the okay to proceed).

Thanks on the tip regarding the Milk Thistle and Aloe Vera combo. It does seem overboard to do both. I guess I panicked, haha! Milk Thistle is not very popular with my flock right now, they just would not touch their food sprinkled w/ it. So as not to waste it, maybe I can mix it to rice when I boil it. My sun conure loves boiled rice. When powdered milk thistle gets cooked, do the 'good stuff' get destroyed?

On Aloe Vera, I bought this brand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0S7M8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I saw it mentioned in old posts from this forum. Here's that post: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/44384-good-liver-disease.html Good idea on checking the ingredients. I didn't even do that. I'll look it over shortly and will let you know what I find. The instructions state 1-2 tbsp 4x a day for humans. If ingredients are safe for birds, I plan to use 1 tbsp every 4 oz water, is this okay?

Thanks for the feeding tips. I'll try giving them chop mix, veg and pellets (mixed w/ little seed) during the day. 50/50 seeds/pellets at night until I transition them out of seeds fully. Although, should I keep seeds at 15% diet or none at all? Some sites say seeds for parakeets are important.

Thanks for recommending Tops. I'll bookmark that. So far I grabbed Zupreem pellets for parakeets just because I wanted to transition them ASAP. Tops seems a better quality.

Last edited:
OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots

I wish I had asked what his experience was with FLD, alas I did not. I had a gang of questions written down, I just didn't think to include that one. All he said was that FLD is less likely than a calcium deficiency. He's going by gut it seems, not feeling the need for bloodwork on this visit. Again, i don't know if that's good or bad :/

Regarding calcium, phosphorous and d3, I forgot that I also bought this supplement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013GEBWIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I like any product by Nekton. I plan to sprinkle it on their dry food (not h20 soluble) after I complete 30 days of the prescribed neocal syrup. What do you think?

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Going on my experiences with Plum I would want to have the + or - regarding FLD. To know not assume and respecting your AV's experience. I tell my AV if I do not agree with something.

Again check through and make sure you are not double dosing any ingredients. I have put Aloe Detox in water but been limited how strong a solution as I can tell he tastes it and will not drink if too strong. Milk Thistle is also available in liquid form. The positive remarks relating to Aloe Detox have been relating to full strength solution and/or in juice via syringe which my boy fights like a good on' LOL. Remember potions etc are not a fix all. If FLD is present PewPew will need antibiotics probably.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Tons of great advice all. A couple of small points:

AV's whether CAV or AQV that have long practices in the Avian Field tend not to quickly require Blood Screening with a smaller Parrot that 'in their mind' does not display specific (serious) illness(s). The combination of years of experience and having lost several clients over the years to stress has them a bit more careful. With mid to larger Parrots, near everyone will blood screen.

Sunlight and how much is very misunderstood. Glass has greatly changed over the years and is very different from what was in most homes during and prior to the 1960's. Since than, there has been steady advances in blocking and reflection build into the glass and/or placed on its surface or between panels. When sunlight is recommended, it is direct sunlight, i.e. there is no barrier between the Sun and the Parrot. Based on that understanding, 5 minutes a week is a fair number for what little we still today understand as its benefits.

Studies over the years have been plagued with junk science heavily influenced by Organizations that profit from this or that outcome of the study. That disclaimer stated, Science and the Medical Fields have long concluded that natural sunlight has benefits emotionally and to some level physically. The how and what continues to be problematic.

Over the last 20 plus years, there has been a steady moment away from UV exposure as it continues to be linked to ever more health problems. At the same time, exposure to 'Natural Day Light' as defined as that light spectrum (colour) seen on a bright sunny day at high Noon has been targeted as a emotional benefit and that 'somehow' encourages the body to product or supports the production of certain chemicals.

Great care should be taken to how much of this 'produced' light one is exposed to over any given day. At present, the recommendation is to follow the example of the Sun on any given day. Exceed that example and problems with the natural sleep /wake cycle of the body can occur.

Last edited:
OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Thank you for the info! I'm being more careful now with the amount of supplements I use. Sad that they're not taking to milk thistle powder (just wouldn't touch their food). I'll stick to the aloe vera for now being mindful that the best impact lies in diet and not in extra supplementation.

I'm happy to report that they're at least eating lots more broccoli these days. I re-introduced kale today and they went crazy for it. Funny things is, I hung it in their cage just so they'd bathe in it (wet kale). That they munched on it was a big plus.

Seeds are still in the diet but I'm slowly trying to reduce it more while increasing pellets and veggies. Hopefully I'll get there. I think I have to train myself more, not the birds. I always tend to put in a little more seeds than I intended.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Good news and pleased the forums has been of use to you. Perhaps use something to measure the seed so you are able to gauge it better? Keep updates coming please?

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Good idea! I'll buy a measuring cup today (I never use one when I cook). How much dry food should I serve? Some dots say 2-4 tsp of seeds per parakeet, others 2 tbsp. I'll lower the ratio of seeds to pellet of course.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
They key is to not supply enough that they can manage on just the seed and some will starve themselves until the seed comes. Know it comes at a certain point in the day and wait.

Try the seed as a little treat last thing and keep going with the healthy stuff, they are keener to try if they are hungry.

It is easier to add a little more than take it away LOL.

Are those instructions based on seed only diet? Obviously if they are eating fresh veggies and some pellets then the reliance on the seed is less. You will hear pellets described as complete diets. I'd use the seed as more of a treat I feel. Until you are happy they have switched over they will need to be watched in order to see what is being eaten and roughly how much. Weighing a bird once a week is a useful tool to be able to judge how they are doing and also weight loss usually first sign of illness.

Last edited:
OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
The instructions were for seed only + veg. I'm just using it as a reference point as I continue their transition to pellets. Pewpew is very active today. It's great to see him so lively. I expect the beak to keep growing which means vet trip in a few weeks. I hope he takes to the healthy diet quickly.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Last edited:

Most Reactions