Picking the right species, need advice

TBaildon

Sep 27, 2016
I am part of a bird rescue, so my advice comes from that perspective. I don't know if there are any rescues near you, and if there are if they need foster homes, but that would be one thing you might look into to try getting experience with different kinds of birds before committing your life (and finances) to one. We are always needing foster homes, and we provide the cages, seed, pellets, and most of the toys for our foster homes, while the foster parents provide fresh foods and homemade toys as they can. They also get first chance to adopt their foster birds if they decide they want them. We have a Catalina Macaw and an African Grey that are 'failed fosters', but very happily adopted birds, as well as the first bird we adopted that got us into the rescue, my Goffins Cockatoo.

OP
vdrandom

vdrandom

Sep 10, 2021
I have a Maine Coon. I was given a Cockatoo. She rules me and my cat. I never allow them to be alone together, because Sugar will often push Rollo too far and he'll try to bat her away. He keeps his claws in, but I can't expect him not to accidentally leave them out. It would be super easy for him to hurt or kill her without meaning to.. You DEFINITELY don't want to get a Cockatoo. Their screeches could raise the dead and they need to be able to see everything around them, including outside, and never want to be left alone. Etc., etc., etc.
I agree. Interaction between a parrot and a cat should be supervised at all times, if not completely avoided, I agree. Although I can imagine a Cockatoo scaring the shit out of a cat, you can never know how it will react. (Some of the Maine Coons I know are very gentle and even cowards despite being large and looking menacing themselves.)
BTW, your English is excellent !!
Your English is excellent.
Thank you! Spending a lot of time with online communities this one tends to do that to you. Oh, and Netflix. Lots of daily practice! :D
I am part of a bird rescue, so my advice comes from that perspective. I don't know if there are any rescues near you, and if there are if they need foster homes, but that would be one thing you might look into to try getting experience with different kinds of birds before committing your life (and finances) to one. We are always needing foster homes, and we provide the cages, seed, pellets, and most of the toys for our foster homes, while the foster parents provide fresh foods and homemade toys as they can. They also get first chance to adopt their foster birds if they decide they want them. We have a Catalina Macaw and an African Grey that are 'failed fosters', but very happily adopted birds, as well as the first bird we adopted that got us into the rescue, my Goffins Cockatoo.
I see a lot of reason in adopting a bird instead of getting a chick, but my wife is adamant about raising her parrot. I do like the idea of visiting a rescue to learn more about different species of parrots. I'll look into that more, if it's even a thing here in Moscow. Thanks for the advice!

Most Reactions