(pics) Drogon in his aviary!

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon
So I finally got the birds an outdoor aviary! Drogon has been loving it the most so far, he can't wait to get out and get some sun while screaming at children (I live next to a school) every day :D

Here's a couple (or a lot..) of pictures of him enjoying the aviary:

tumblr_p8h03tgbVt1sppe1to1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8h03tgbVt1sppe1to2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8h03tgbVt1sppe1to3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8h7fahA1k1sppe1to2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8h7fahA1k1sppe1to6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8h7fahA1k1sppe1to7_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8fbcmm1fG1sppe1to3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8fbcmm1fG1sppe1to2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8cyepp4391sppe1to3_1280.jpg

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Wow!! That is a happy bird :)

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
That is absolutely stunning:eek::). I love the natural looking environment you have set up. There's so many fun things to do/chew and play with to keep him entertained and healthy. Awesome job, he looks like a very happy and content parrot!:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a fabulous aviary! Dragon is stunning and looks like he's enjoying every second of his time in the great outdoors:D

tootsietoots

May 9, 2018
Media
Parrots
lovebird (Tootsie), cockatiel (Yoshi), 3 English budgies (Hugo, Max, and Huckleberry)
A beautiful aviary for a beautiful bird!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
What a fabulous aviary! Dragon is stunning and looks like he's enjoying every second of his time in the great outdoors:D

I agree what everyone has said so far!! Geez I wish I had the know-how ( and space!) to set something up like that for Amy and Beebs. Drogon does look VERY happy :D Awesome job!!!

Jim

SunnyJ

Apr 24, 2018
WA
Parrots
32 year old Double Yellow head
"Baby"
Awesome! Can you tell us whats inside and how it's made? pleeeeeeeeease :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I fully agree!!!

So, other than Food! How do you convince him he needs to go anywhere else!. Truly a beautiful Aviary!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
An incredibly beautiful amazon enjoying a spectacular aviary! Thanks for sharing those pics, what an inspiration!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Amazing aviary, love the pics! I would also love to know how you put this all together (where you got the aviary, what did you find to put inside, etc.) and how long this whole process took.

OP
Mitchan

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon
Oh, thanks for the compliments, everyone! :D

The aviary I bought is the 178x242x192cm or 70”x95.3”x74.6” aluminium aviary from VidaXL (I know it’s available on the Swedish and British versions of the VidaXL site, but I don’t know about any other place - you’ll have to search for it! I think I saw it on amazon.co.uk too...) - which is pretty good and very affordable, BUT it is not a super sturdy aviary, so I wouldn’t use it full-time for any bird with a relatively big beak who likes to chew the bars. I also wouldn’t use it full-time outdoors either without doing some extra securing work on it first, as the net doesn’t really sit that well in the columns so any predator could easily just pop the net panel out if it really wanted to get to the bird... It’s good as an indoor aviary for smaller birds with a little less beak strength (I’ve got the slightly smaller version for Leia and Meg as their main housing indoors), and it’s great for supervised outdoor playtime for any bird, which is how I use it!

The big tree trunk is our old apple tree, I wanted to keep it for my birds after we cut it down but could never be bothered to drag it up the stairs to the bird room so it just sat around in my garage until I got the aviary heheh. I steam cleaned it thoroughly when I did get it out for the aviary.
The leafy branches are rowan (european mountain ash, Sorbus aucuparia) and norway maple (acer platanoides), two of the different kinds of bird safe trees I have in my backyard - I regularly pick fresh branches and twigs, give ’em a hot wash in the shower and just stick them all around the aviary (and refill when they’re all chewed up), all the birbs LOVE picking off the leaves and chewing the twigs!

I had some help from my dad when assembling the aviary (and I do recommend getting someone to help with that ahah, it was quite a hassle.. You do kind of get the hang of it after a while but it would still be kinda hard to do alone) and we were done in pretty much a day. Then I just threw the big tree and some toys in there and decided I was done for now ahaha.
It’s been up for about a week now!

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Absolutely amazing!!! If I buy you a plane ticket would you come to Canada and help me build one?

:D:D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
$248 on Ebay ?? Wow I paid more then that for Saltys indoor cage. Free shipping to lower 48, too.
For the first time, I am considering getting one for the Saltmeister. I figure the cage + pouring concrete pad + outfitting with toys, food & water bowls would still be < $350 and that is still cheaper then his indoor cage. THanks Mitchan !

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
$248 on Ebay ?? Wow I paid more then that for Saltys indoor cage. Free shipping to lower 48, too.
For the first time, I am considering getting one for the Saltmeister. I figure the cage + pouring concrete pad + outfitting with toys, food & water bowls would still be < $350 and that is still cheaper then his indoor cage. THanks Mitchan !

Hey Al? If you decide on getting one for Salty let me know! I'll come by and give you a hand putting it together ;) I know Amy would scream in delight with one of those lol

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts