Pin feathers

mayouya

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello, I have a green-cheek conure named Toki. Iā€™ve had him since he was 3 months old (got him in Feb, so heā€™s about 8 months now) and heā€™s really attached to me.
He demands my attention whenever Iā€™m near, uses me as a big playground and loves giving me kisses.
However, his pin feathers keep coming in and in the past Iā€™ve been able to crush them but he doesnā€™t really let me touch them anymore. He moves around a lot and nips at my fingers when I try. I understand that theyā€™re sensitive so Iā€™m as gentle as I can be but I canā€™t get to them and thereā€™s quite a few now.
Is there anything I can do to calm him so I can get to them or should I leave them? Thank you!

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I would leave them alone.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Leave them alone.

Encourage misting, baths, showering with you. That's the best way to help.

Witchhazelharpy

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
Apple and Zippy. R. I. P. Bennie who passed very recently.
Hello, I have a green-cheek conure named Toki. Iā€™ve had him since he was 3 months old (got him in Feb, so heā€™s about 8 months now) and heā€™s really attached to me.
He demands my attention whenever Iā€™m near, uses me as a big playground and loves giving me kisses.
However, his pin feathers keep coming in and in the past Iā€™ve been able to crush them but he doesnā€™t really let me touch them anymore. He moves around a lot and nips at my fingers when I try. I understand that theyā€™re sensitive so Iā€™m as gentle as I can be but I canā€™t get to them and thereā€™s quite a few now.
Is there anything I can do to calm him so I can get to them or should I leave them? Thank you!
Hello to you and Toki! From my experience, pinfeathers go through different stages, one when they aren't ready to come out. Toki might be having these if they are new pinfeathers. If your bird isn't letting you touch them, the best thing to do is to leave them until they're ready to be scritched off. Molting is often an uncomfortable and itchy experience for birds, so other ways you could help them is giving them baths and misting them. Water can soothe irritation from pinfeathers.
Wishing a good day to you and Toki! ā¤ļø

Most Reactions

Latest posts