“Pinchy” conure

Kalkarose

Oct 6, 2021
Parrots
Used to have a budgie
I have a 2-year-old male turquoise green cheeks conure that I’ve had for about a week, who is very friendly and likes to be with me anytime he’s out of his cage (2-4 hours a day), and likes me to pet and scritch his head. The problem is he’s started to constantly try to pinch my skin even through clothes. I’ve taken to wearing a long-sleeved canvas shirt over layers when he’s out and just ignore it. He steps up on my finger just fine and is not otherwise aggressive. How do I deal with that to get him to stop?

Attachments

• 4217B0BA-C7CB-4FA0-B320-191B6D31B209.jpeg
    4217B0BA-C7CB-4FA0-B320-191B6D31B209.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 83

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
This might not be aggression. It could be a sign of affection, like he is trying to preen you. Just don't react to the bites. At all. Don't yell, flinch, pull away, or put him down if he's on your hand, arm, or shoulder. Also, give him plenty of shredding toys, something to bite that's not your skin. If the bite is HARD, you can give him a short time-out in his cage. Just don't encourage the behavior. Also, you can try some trick training, something fun for him to do that SHOULD be encouraged.

OP
K

Kalkarose

Oct 6, 2021
Parrots
Used to have a budgie
This might not be aggression. It could be a sign of affection, like he is trying to preen you. Just don't react to the bites. At all. Don't yell, flinch, pull away, or put him down if he's on your hand, arm, or shoulder. Also, give him plenty of shredding toys, something to bite that's not your skin. If the bite is HARD, you can give him a short time-out in his cage. Just don't encourage the behavior. Also, you can try some trick training, something fun for him to do that SHOULD be encouraged.
Thank you so much. I’ve taught him to step up on a perch and to go poopie where I put him and he’s really sweet. It’s just that confounded pinching. Will he get over it?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just one edit to foxgloves post - time outs should not be in the cage. Doing that can teach the parrot that in order to go back to his cage, he just has to bite someone. A better place for a time out is on a handy and immediately available chair back, and do that with your back turned to the bird, no eye contact, no talking ABOUT him , nothing! Time outs are like a minute or so long; any longer and the lesson is lost on the parrot.
Be religious in doing time outs when biting occurs, so there is no confusion about biting being acceptable.

Most Reactions

Latest posts