Pineapple Conure limping slightly, what can I do to help in the mean time

martysdad

Jul 6, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
Hey everyone,

New to the forum as I wasn't aware this place existed but looking for some advice.

My pineapple conure developed a limp today like he can't put too much weight on his foot, the thing is though he is still active, he's walking around with a little limp, being active, eating, playful, climbing up and down things etc. I have no idea what caused this

When I inspect his leg it looks fine, he doesn't seem to be in pain no matter what checks I do on his foot/leg etc, other than the limp and he seems to be a little weaker gripping things with that leg he is his normal self.

We have never had a problem with him before and because of this I just found out my local vet doesn't treat birds anymore as the guy who did left and the closest one that does means I wont get there until this weekend.

What can I do to help him in the mean time?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
How old is he? My guy (profile pic) is a bit older and has arthritis. He also seems to get weird leg spasms (the vet knows and has us keeping an eye on it) where if he clenches for too long or stretches his leg out, it is almost like it gets ā€œstuckā€. Iā€™ll share specifically what she said to me last time I asked about it: ā€œJust like us they can get pinched nerves from different positions.ā€

His grip is not the best either, but weā€™ve started him on heart meds which aim to improve his circulation. If he hasnā€™t had them already, it may be time to get a full blood panel & culture done to make sure his heart, kidneys, liver, etc are all functioning as intended, as issues with the extremities can be caused by a variety of conditions associated with diet or old age.

OP
M

martysdad

Jul 6, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
How old is he? My guy (profile pic) is a bit older and has arthritis. He also seems to get weird leg spasms (the vet knows and has us keeping an eye on it) where if he clenches for too long or stretches his leg out, it is almost like it gets ā€œstuckā€. Iā€™ll share specifically what she said to me last time I asked about it: ā€œJust like us they can get pinched nerves from different positions.ā€

His grip is not the best either, but weā€™ve started him on heart meds which aim to improve his circulation. If he hasnā€™t had them already, it may be time to get a full blood panel & culture done to make sure his heart, kidneys, liver, etc are all functioning as intended, as issues with the extremities can be caused by a variety of conditions associated with diet or old age.
Thank you for the reply, hes 1 year old. Its odd, its a limp but you would expect any pain its causing him to flar up if I move it, touch it etc and it doesn't, he's just calm and placid and trust me, he would have no problem biting if someone was annoying or hurting him so it seems so strange, I am hoping it just something simple like a sprain

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I hope your vet visit can provide better insight. That is strange! If itā€™s just been today itā€™s definitely possible he pinched a toe in something or similar, and is favoring it. I hope itā€™s nothing serious, and Iā€™m glad to hear he is still active! Weā€™d love to see photos of your feathered friend whenever youā€™ve got a chance :)

OP
M

martysdad

Jul 6, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
20220624_100301.jpg

This is him after his bath the other day, he was very happy. Have so many more photos, I will make sure to contribute when I have more time

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
View attachment 41820
This is him after his bath the other day, he was very happy. Have so many more photos, I will make sure to contribute when I have more time
That is one beautiful baby!! Welcome to the forums to both of you, and I hope everything goes well for you with your visit to the vet šŸ™

OP
M

martysdad

Jul 6, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
That is one beautiful baby!! Welcome to the forums to both of you, and I hope everything goes well for you with your visit to the vet šŸ™
Thank you, he has the most striking colours and he's a real head Turner.
This is him practicing putting the ball in the cart, he hasn't quite got it yet but he's getting there
Screenshot_20220706-222020_Video Player.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you, he has the most striking colours and he's a real head Turner.
This is him practicing putting the ball in the cart, he hasn't quite got it yet but he's getting there View attachment 41821
Beauty AND brains - how could anyone possibly resist him??

OP
M

martysdad

Jul 6, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
Welcome to the forums! I hope his limp turns out to be nothing major. His coloring is so unique!
Thank you me too.

He is still using his foot to scratch himself and climb but he isn't putting much weight on it. Considering he is still using it and doesn't seem to be in pain all the time I'm hopeful it's nothing serious.

Hopefully just a pinched toe or something like that

And yeah we love his colours, really stands out as a conur ā˜ŗļø

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Is the bottom of his foot discolored or shiny? Pink? Sometimes if a bird stands the same way on his foot for a long time the foot gets a sore or hot spot. My Lucy Quaker used to have this problem as sheā€™d had he left broken once, but I think it could happen for other reasons, too.

Cute baby! We just got that shopping cart a few days ago but Willow hasnā€™t been introduced yet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts