Pionus or Double Yellow?

jeffismee

Nov 1, 2021
I have been looking for a parrot for a little while, visiting aviaries, talking to owners and reading as much as I can. I'm a writer and the bird would be in my office with me most of the day. we'll put a perch by the kitchen/TV area for when I'm out of the office for extended periods. I've had a couple of Amazons in the past, and while I expect noise, I've been looking for a quieter bird.

Recently, two options have been presented to us, and I'm curious if there are any thoughts. The first is a DYH, 17-years old, 10 with the current owner who needs to rehome him (for $1500). She did a marvelous job with him. I handled him for an hour and while he seemed uncomfortable at times -- his eyes would pin -- he might push me with his beak but he never bit or even looked to bite. He looks healthy, speaks but not a lot. Most of the time, he plays quietly in or on his cage. When she leaves him is the only time he gets loud; he'll scream ( loudly but not conure-loud) and a not so great to hear whistle until she returns. The bird was fine in my hands, for a while anyway until he got tired of cooperating. He really was a nice bird, and if that was the way he was the first time I met him, he'll be that much better when we get to know each other.

The second bird is a bluecap Pionus. I've always admired those birds for their relative quiet and peaceful personality (a good match in my office). I think standoffishness can be a benefit over a bird that is desperate for attention. He is 23 with an unknown history. I will visit him this week. I'm told he will sit on your arm but not much more. But he's a Pionus, I figure he'll come around. His price is around $250. I know a lot depends on how one interacts with the bird, but all things being equal, any thoughts on which would make the better pet? We have one more animal in the house --a mellow golden retriever. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I'm sure they'll help us make the right decision, although I should say I suspect both will fit our lifestyle.

jeff

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Obviously, you shouldn't let your dog and bird interact unsupervised, regardless of species. Feel free to ask more questions about that, someone is bound to have advice.
I have had experience with both amazons and pionus, and pionus are definitely quieter, which is a plus for you. However you do seem pretty capable of owning both. Do more research and think about it a lot, and pick the one you think would suit your lifestyle better and also which one appeals to you more.

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
Obviously, you shouldn't let your dog and bird interact unsupervised, regardless of species. Feel free to ask more questions about that, someone is bound to have advice.
I have had experience with both amazons and pionus, and pionus are definitely quieter, which is a plus for you. However you do seem pretty capable of owning both. Do more research and think about it a lot, and pick the one you think would suit your lifestyle better and also which one appeals to you more.
It is interesting because one of the the first things people talk about regarding the Pionus is their diffidence at times. That is not the way they often describe a DYH, but the owner says he is very quiet, more of an observer than a doer until the owner steps out of the room to a room next door where the dyh can hear her talking, that Is when the bird gets seriously vocal. But you are right, it is a lifestyle issue. That brings up another question that I bet has been posed in the Pionus group: the smell that the blue kneaded ones have.

Most Reactions