placing the cage on top of a shelf

angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
lineolated parakeet called lia
I live in a small apartment and I only have space on top of pretty big shelf
It's big enough to fit 27inch cage and it high enough so that the cage will be around my shoulder and head area
It's in quiet area facing one wall where my buddy can get some indirect sunlight
but I don't know if it's good idea because there will be some sound and vibration as I open the drawers
I open these drawers pretty often as well.
What do you guys think? Do you think my parrot will be okay on top of the shelf?
She'll be here next saturday

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I live in a small apartment and I only have space on top of pretty big shelf
It's big enough to fit 27inch cage and it high enough so that the cage will be around my shoulder and head area
It's in quiet area facing one wall where my buddy can get some indirect sunlight
but I don't know if it's good idea because there will be some sound and vibration as I open the drawers
I open these drawers pretty often as well.
What do you guys think? Do you think my parrot will be okay on top of the shelf?
She'll be here next saturday
Hi there!

Absolutely!! There is no such thing as "too high" for a bird. A shelf will be good, just in the beginning you might want to open the drawers slowly and gently while the bird gets used to it you moving around. Being high up will make the bird feel safe. Also I thought that the cage will be high up, the top of the cage being around your height is not that high, but good enough. We keep our budgie's cage on a tall drawer, the top of the cage is sitting at 2m height.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome how exciting! What kind of bird?
Do you know about Teflon and those chemicals when heated are deadly to birds? We have to be so careful and research which products are safe. I just use cast iron, aluminum foil ( instead of cookie sheets) glass and stainless steel.

OP
angleajang

angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
Hi there!

Absolutely!! There is no such thing as "too high" for a bird. A shelf will be good, just in the beginning you might want to open the drawers slowly and gently while the bird gets used to it you moving around. Being high up will make the bird feel safe. Also I thought that the cage will be high up, the top of the cage being around your height is not that high, but good enough. We keep our budgie's cage on a tall drawer, the top of the cage is sitting at 2m height.
that is such a relief hope everything will be okay :D

OP
angleajang

angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
welcome how exciting! What kind of bird?
Do you know about Teflon and those chemicals when heated are deadly to birds? We have to be so careful and research which products are safe. I just use cast iron, aluminum foil ( instead of cookie sheets) glass and stainless steel.
She's lineolated parakeet I won't be bringing her out when we're cooking she will mostly stay in my room and my mom will take hour or so to socialize with her when we're not coooking. Also I will only use stainless steel to cook for her thanks for your concern!! I wouldn't have known to cook only with safe metal :D

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
Ok its not safe anywhere in the home , to use these products, the fumes will kill burds on different floors behind closed doors. We have so many tragic deaths from this. They can die in seconds!
Some Common Sources of PTFE * Non-stick pots, pans, and other cookware * Stain repellants * Space heaters and heat lamp covers * Non-stick irons and ironing board covers * Hair dryers * Non-stick oven drip pans and broiler pans * Non-stick griddles, woks, waffle makers, electric skillets, tortilla presses * Non-stick hot air corn poppers, coffee makers, bread makers * Non-stick slow cookers, roasters, pizza pans * Ceramic cooking stoves

This article covers many, I do not agree that only high temp of pans equal off gasses as no use us safe they off Gass earlier as aged and cooking Temps are unsafe

I can add burning plastic. I was cooking had a tiny piece of plastic bag fall on the burner. I flicked it off took 3 steps flung open my door and started throwing my burd cages outside. They were already weaving and falling off their perches and gasp. I had them outdoors in seconds!! Thank goodness they all survived.

My freind painted a room his burd died.

Ok sorry for the scary stuff!!@@ just want you to have happy safe burd to love for years !!

Last edited:
OP
angleajang

angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
Hi,
Ok its not safe anywhere in the home , to use these products, the fumes will kill burds on different floors behind closed doors. We have so many tragic deaths from this. They can die in seconds!
Some Common Sources of PTFE * Non-stick pots, pans, and other cookware * Stain repellants * Space heaters and heat lamp covers * Non-stick irons and ironing board covers * Hair dryers * Non-stick oven drip pans and broiler pans * Non-stick griddles, woks, waffle makers, electric skillets, tortilla presses * Non-stick hot air corn poppers, coffee makers, bread makers * Non-stick slow cookers, roasters, pizza pans * Ceramic cooking stoves

This article covers many, I do not agree that only high temp of pans equal off gasses as no use us safe they off Gass earlier as aged and cooking Temps are unsafe

I can add burning plastic. I was cooking had a tiny piece of plastic bag fall on the burner. I flicked it off took 3 steps flung open my door and started throwing my burd cages outside. They were already weaving and falling off their perches and gasp. I had them outdoors in seconds!! Thank goodness they all survived.

My freind painted a room his burd died.

Ok sorry for the scary stuff!!@@ just want you to have happy safe burd to love for years !!
Actually we don't cook at all in our house lol so I think we'll be fine thanks ;D

Most Reactions

Latest posts