Play vs real fighting?

Slim

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Keiko - GCC
Lulu - Pineapple GCC
A little over a year ago, I adopted a 7 year old green cheek to add to my little family. With my being about to graduate college, and get a real job, I figured I would get him a friend. So I went out and adopted a 6 month old pineapple conure to keep eachother company. Since then, they are mostly good around eachother, with him loving to preen her, however he refuses to let her preen him at all. In addition, occasionally she will instigate little squabbles by putting her foot on his back or head, which starts a little face off of squawks and flapping wings. It doesn't seem very violent, but I break it up early just to make sure. Is there any particular reason for this? And if so, should I let them work it out, or help in some other way? Thank you!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
A little over a year ago, I adopted a 7 year old green cheek to add to my little family. With my being about to graduate college, and get a real job, I figured I would get him a friend. So I went out and adopted a 6 month old pineapple conure to keep eachother company. Since then, they are mostly good around eachother, with him loving to preen her, however he refuses to let her preen him at all. In addition, occasionally she will instigate little squabbles by putting her foot on his back or head, which starts a little face off of squawks and flapping wings. It doesn't seem very violent, but I break it up early just to make sure. Is there any particular reason for this? And if so, should I let them work it out, or help in some other way? Thank you!
It seems like "she" is actually a male, and trying to mount the other one.

OP
S

Slim

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Keiko - GCC
Lulu - Pineapple GCC

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think starting with two separate cages, maybe across the room from each other would be good.

So you’re closer than that now, but they’re squabbling. Give them some space and let them choose to spend time together, or not.

Since they’re the same species you have a very good chance that they’ll want to form a flock of some sort. And eventually you may have them in one cage.

@Laurasea has a flock of three Quakers one greencheek and some budgies. I would look at her threads. But I think her birds all have their own cages. I don’t know that that is necessary but you aren’t even β€˜there’ yet.

And yes, I think you have a little boy bird who’s trying to mate with the older bird who may or may not be female. Whatever sex the older bird is, it may not be interested in mating with the younger bird. Probably best to let them have their own space as you haven’t indicated that you want babies and that’s a big responsibility.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How long have you had the new one?

I did have 2 gcc females share a cage a majority of their 7 years together. But at times off abd on thru the years had to separate into their own cages for weeks or months due to some squabbles. Then they would decide they had to live together again.

If you put them together , weigh daily for a few weeks to be sure one isn't being kindly shoved off food. Like you might nit see fights abd might see both st food dishes but still have one not feeling comfortable enough to eat enough.

Currently all my burds have their own cages . But are out together. My Pikachu would love to n move in with either of my other quakers. And while they never fight or anything one will start dropping weight. I've given them several chances but when somebody drops weight I call it . They really preen each other and stay close and share food outside of cage.......but something about being housed together just doesn't work for mine even if I put 3 food bowls spread out inside the cage. O think the cages are 32x36x22

But my gcc used to have a 5 foot by 4 foot cage and still ended up with occasional resources guard...

I guess just depends on individuals...I've seen 2 larger parrots in much smaller cages get along fine...so its really individual

Most Reactions

Latest posts