Please help ! Baby sun conure sounds different.

Aponce1087

Aug 17, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Help! Iā€™m the new owner of a 4 week old baby sun conure. Iā€™ve had him for 2 weeks. I noticed his voice is starting to sound raspy and just different. Iā€™ve taken him to the vet last week and everything was fine. This voice change just started about two days ago. I sent a video of his chirp to the doctor, he said everything seem fine but I canā€™t shake the feeling that somethings off. Any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• B196233B-6513-41C7-ABEE-BD34FB5CBD36.jpeg
    B196233B-6513-41C7-ABEE-BD34FB5CBD36.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 190

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome!

I have not any experience with conures.

One thing come to my mind nevertheless. It is common for young birds to change their voice after they leave the nest. During their early development phase they have those baby peeps that will change to a more adult like sound. Since your bird is quite young, maybe this is what is happening.

I have a Pacific Parotlet here that is around 3 and 1/2 month and he is still changing his voice, sometimes going for long screechy solo sessions :Do_O

OP
Aponce1087

Aponce1087

Aug 17, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I really hope so. He sounds like heā€™s losing it alittle. šŸ˜ž

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
this can happen with an infection, and that would be my first concern. Despite vet check. I would ask for psitticoss test. Though it can be difficult to get a positive test, even with infection. Was the vet again certified? Has weight dropped? Any green poops other than first morning poop ( which is often green)?

OP
Aponce1087

Aponce1087

Aug 17, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
this can happen with an infection, and that would be my first concern. Despite vet check. I would ask for psitticoss test. Though it can be difficult to get a positive test, even with infection. Was the vet again certified? Has weight dropped? Any green poops other than first morning poop ( which is often green)?
Yes the vet is certified. No weight has dropped as of yet and his poop looks the same morning - night. Itā€™s green with very little white mixed with Iā€™m guessing his urine. I was on google reading a few things. Itā€™s just so scary, I spoon feed him as well just to avoid any aspiration with the syringe. I made another appt but I have to wait until next Tuesday.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
babies are vulnerable immune systems, and acquired infections at birth or breeder ( not a breeders fault, things are just around) can show up , or yeast imbalance is a common problem. Getting a fully weaned baby is the best way to go. Proper warmth is critical, warmth of chick and food. I've been away and the format has changed so I'm not sure how to access all my saved links and tips on babies. I would have a thermometer in food, and to keep it warm while feeding ( there is an exact temp but I don't remember ) I put the food dish in pot of hot water to maintain temp.

OP
Aponce1087

Aponce1087

Aug 17, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
babies are vulnerable immune systems, and acquired infections at birth or breeder ( not a breeders fault, things are just around) can show up , or yeast imbalance is a common problem. Getting a fully weaned baby is the best way to go. Proper warmth is critical, warmth of chick and food. I've been away and the format has changed so I'm not sure how to access all my saved links and tips on babies. I would have a thermometer in food, and to keep it warm while feeding ( there is an exact temp but I don't remember ) I put the food dish in pot of hot water to maintain temp.
Iā€™ve been using the thermometer for the food, I weigh him every morning. I have a heater for him as well. When I tell you I really been trying to do everything as perfect as I can, I really am trying. This change of voice has me so worried. I have to wait until Tuesday for his next vet visit. šŸ˜ž

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Well as others here have noted, birds hide symptoms, so if you continue to feel there is something wrong then following up more with avian vet is good. Certainly folks' stories on this forum do testify that sometimes the only alert to a bird in danger, is that Instinct that there's a problem, and timely intervention can be incredibly important.

That said, and knowing less about baby sunnies, I will tell you that my baby budgies' voices are doing a whole Lot of changing right now. And furthermore, the adult voice of a sun conure is normally not nearly as beautiful as their plumage.

Not hearing your clip... and since my Sunny was 6 months old when I got her, don't even know if the sound clip would help... still my own first response is to think that a voice change in a baby sunnie is Probably not a problem.

OP
Aponce1087

Aponce1087

Aug 17, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Well as others here have noted, birds hide symptoms, so if you continue to feel there is something wrong then following up more with avian vet is good. Certainly folks' stories on this forum do testify that sometimes the only alert to a bird in danger, is that Instinct that there's a problem, and timely intervention can be incredibly important.

That said, and knowing less about baby sunnies, I will tell you that my baby budgies' voices are doing a whole Lot of changing right now. And furthermore, the adult voice of a sun conure is normally not nearly as beautiful as their plumage.

Not hearing your clip... and since my Sunny was 6 months old when I got her, don't even know if the sound clip would help... still my own first response is to think that a voice change in a baby sunnie is Probably not a problem.
I just got home from taking him in as an emergency visit. They did an X-ray to check if he aspirated at all but they said everything seems fine. I asked about any crop test and they didnā€™t want to do it stating he seemed fine. I cant help but to shake the feeling that somethings wrong. His voice sounds like heā€™s struggling abit. Iā€™m just hoping they are right. Iā€™ll upload a video when he wakes up for his next feeding.

EmEm

Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sun Conure
I just got home from taking him in as an emergency visit. They did an X-ray to check if he aspirated at all but they said everything seems fine. I asked about any crop test and they didnā€™t want to do it stating he seemed fine. I cant help but to shake the feeling that somethings wrong. His voice sounds like heā€™s struggling abit. Iā€™m just hoping they are right. Iā€™ll upload a video when he wakes up for his next feeding.
Any updates for him? got the same problem

OP
Aponce1087

Aponce1087

Aug 17, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Any updates for him? got the same problem
Hey, as of right now my sun conure is 5 months old & sheā€™s healthy & eating on her own. She actually has this weird voice when sheā€™s content or full that sounds like something isnt right but thatā€™s just her voice. Whatā€™s going on with your baby ? My advice to you is to bring your baby to an avian vet ASAP. FEED THE BABY THERE ! Right in front of the doctor so the doctor can monitor how youā€™re feeding him/her and can see how the baby breathes after. I really hope your babyā€™s okay. Buy a baby bird spoon if you donā€™t have one already. Itā€™s much better & safer for a new bird mom/dad to use instead of a syringe. I got mine off of Amazon. You need to make sure the formula is between 105-109 as you feed him. It does get colder faster since it takes about 10 mins a feeding. Itā€™s much safer and will calm your nerves.

Most Reactions