Please help - laying egg ???

JGarza57

Jul 6, 2019
Pasadena, Tx
Hello I dont know what is going on with my parrot. Is it a she and not a he and “she” is laying an egg? From the looks of it, it also reminds me of rectal prolapse that occurs in dogs. Here is a video down below; please help me. He fluffs up and does a pooping motion but wheezes and open us tail. I called an avian vet but they stopped doing hospital calls at 11pm. One put me on hold and suggested i gave crushed up tums with water. I have only been able to give him a bit. I am scared, i am confused. I dont know what to do.

Attachments

• ACF9B2AA-C91C-47C9-92A2-F8DF8AAB5341.jpeg
    ACF9B2AA-C91C-47C9-92A2-F8DF8AAB5341.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 123
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    9.1 MB
D

Deleted member 42416

Hello I dont know what is going on with my parrot. Is it a she and not a he and “she” is laying an egg? From the looks of it, it also reminds me of rectal prolapse that occurs in dogs. Here is a video down below; please help me. He fluffs up and does a pooping motion but wheezes and open us tail. I called an avian vet but they stopped doing hospital calls at 11pm. One put me on hold and suggested i gave crushed up tums with water. I have only been able to give him a bit. I am scared, i am confused. I dont know what to do.
I am so sorry you and your bird are going through this right now! The bird does need immediate medical attention by an avian vet as soon as they are available. I am not a vet, but the picture and symptoms do look like egg binding. The crushed tums (calcium) are supposed to help with contractions to help expel the egg. It is critical to keep her warm in the meantime and hydrated. Some people will put their vent in warm water and very gently massage the area and lower abdomen to see if will help pass. It is important that you do not try to break the egg as the sharp pieces can cause massive internal bleeding and infection. I’ve attached a link with some information. Praying for you and your beautiful bird.

D

Deleted member 42416

Good morning,
Any news in your parrot?

OP
J

JGarza57

Jul 6, 2019
Pasadena, Tx
Good morning,
Any news in your parrot?
Good morning. Thank you for reaching back out my parrot has passed away as of 2 hrs ago.

I took him to the vet early morning, they did x-rays and did not see eggs and before doing testing on the butt he was breathing heavy and he was stressed out and she called and let me know they had him under oxygen because he was breathing heavy and i recieved abother call soon after sayinf it went down hill and they started doing compressions on him and 10 minutes later as i was driving back to the vet (i had been at work) she called and said he had passed away.
I got the chance to hold him and kiss him one last time. Im a complete mess and cant help but to blame myself and hate myself for not being with him when he took his last breath.

D

Deleted member 42416

Good morning. Thank you for reaching back out my parrot has passed away as of 2 hrs ago.

I took him to the vet early morning, they did x-rays and did not see eggs and before doing testing on the butt he was breathing heavy and he was stressed out and she called and let me know they had him under oxygen because he was breathing heavy and i recieved abother call soon after sayinf it went down hill and they started doing compressions on him and 10 minutes later as i was driving back to the vet (i had been at work) she called and said he had passed away.
I got the chance to hold him and kiss him one last time. Im a complete mess and cant help but to blame myself and hate myself for not being with him when he took his last breath.
Oh I am so sorry. Please do not blame yourself. You did everything you could. He knew you loved him and he will be there waiting for you to give kisses when it is your time. Not one bird falls that God is not aware…they do hold a special place in His heart too.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh JGarza, I’m so terribly sorry that this has happened, I lost my beloved GCC in a similar way and did not get the chance to say goodbye. I understand how much this hurts but please know that your precious baby would not want you to blame yourself, he knew you did everything you could and how very much he was loved. Sending massive feathered hugs to you JGarza, my heart goes out to you and I am so very sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweet one. Fly straight and true on your bright wings to the Rainbow Bridge, until we all meet again.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)

My deepest condolence to you :cry: Many of us know exactly how you feel so you are not alone. I am all tearing up now as it brought back the painful memory of my beloved 27 year old Senegal passed away just last month. Please don't blame and hate yourself as there are times in life that we simply cannot predict and resolve but just have to learn to accept.

Please take good care of yourself and focus on the good times you have had with your beloved baby.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm so sorry, my deepest condolences for the passing of your beautiful bird. May his bright memories give you peace and comfort while grieving a monumental loss.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet bird. You did everything humanly possible to save him, what a heartbreaking loss. My heart goes out to you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hope you know we are all thinking of you. Wishing we could each take a little of your pain away.

Most of us have had to experience this terrible grief. My Neptune, my heart, ....
Having people in this forum that understand that bond helps
I cry my tears with yours

nellybly1900

Oct 15, 2018
My double yellow head has the exact same thing. I have had her to multiple vets. No one has given a definitive diagnosis. I thought it was a hernia? Rectal prolapse is a possibility. They biopsied it. It was not cancer. My bird is not bothered by it. If it is a hernia I worry about it incarcerating. Some days it’s bigger. Some days it’s smaller. If you get a diagnosis I would like to know.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am sorry I did not see this. If I could'nt get the bird to the vet, I would have gotten some sterile ky or similar lube and used a thermometer or lubed swab to gently replace the prolapsed tissue.

getting the everted tissue cleanly back in the bird soon could prevent tissue damage and infection.

of course, there's no good reason for the prolapse to begin with and the tissue might just have popped back out. vet would possibly put in a stitch to keep it inside.

i am sorry for your loss.

Most Reactions

Latest posts