PLEASE help...

Levi's Wife

Sep 23, 2022
Parrots
Kirby, a cute Green Cheek Conure
Hi! I hope you're having a great day so far.
I. Need. Help! So I got my conure, Kirby, the RoudyBush pellet brand. Also, some background info that might help is that she was on an all seed diet and I got her maybe about a week ago(We are the best of friends already) So she LOVES apples and strawberries, but I failed at trying to feed her veggies. Also, back to the pellets... She kind of chews it up, but I think she's just crushing it rather than eating it. I read a website that said something like for the first week do 75 percent seeds and then 25 percent pellets and then gradually decrease the seeds per week. Should I order another brand of pellet since I don't think she likes them? Or should I wait and take the websites advice to gradually decrease the seeds? Any other advice would help me as well. Thank you for your time.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
My conure Jello was the exact way. If you have other birds, show them eating the pellets to ur conure. Or pretend to eat them yourself. Roudybush is the pellet i feed and i got Jello off seeds by glamorizin' them to him, and then just doing a cold turkey switch. He saw my budgies eat the pellets and was all in. Good luck!! And as for veggies... Jello is the same way. I get him to eat veggies by blending them into a purée and putting it ontop of his pellets like a lil pellet smoothie kinda deal. He eats em. Hopefully one day he'll just eat them raw.

OP
Levi's Wife

Levi's Wife

Sep 23, 2022
Parrots
My conure Jello was the exact way. If you have other birds, show them eating the pellets to ur conure. Or pretend to eat them yourself. Roudybush is the pellet i feed and i got Jello off seeds by glamorizin' them to him, and then just doing a cold turkey switch. He saw my budgies eat the pellets and was all in. Good luck!! And as for veggies... Jello is the same way. I get him to eat veggies by blending them into a purée and putting it ontop of his pellets like a lil pellet smoothie kinda deal. He eats em. Hopefully one day he'll just eat them raw.
Thanks so much for the info! Kirby is currently sitting on my head saying "do you want a treat?" But I don't think she likes it too much so I'm now trying the pellets everyone talks about: Harrison's. I'm trying the smallest bag they have and woah their bigger bags are pricyyyy😢 Hopefully I can find something she likes. Also for blending the veggies.. WHAT a GREAT idea! I didn't think of that. She always tries to drink whatever I'm drinking, so maybe I can try that. I appreciate it!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Make sure you’re tracking her weight during this time. My parrot definitely eats his pellets but also “crushes” them and leaves a lot of dust; the only way to know for sure she’s eating is to weigh her every morning and keep a record of it. Parrots can and will starve themselves so it’s extremely important. You can use a small kitchen scale (you’ll want something that can measure to the tenth of a gram) and a T-stand. Chewy sells a kit or you can make your own stand and order the scale online elsewhere.

OP
Levi's Wife

Levi's Wife

Sep 23, 2022
Parrots
Make sure you’re tracking her weight during this time. My parrot definitely eats his pellets but also “crushes” them and leaves a lot of dust; the only way to know for sure she’s eating is to weigh her every morning and keep a record of it. Parrots can and will starve themselves so it’s extremely important. You can use a small kitchen scale (you’ll want something that can measure to the tenth of a gram) and a T-stand. Chewy sells a kit or you can make your own stand and order the scale online elsewhere.

Okay, I'll make sure to invest in a scale. Thanks 😁

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Thanks so much for the info! Kirby is currently sitting on my head saying "do you want a treat?" But I don't think she likes it too much so I'm now trying the pellets everyone talks about: Harrison's. I'm trying the smallest bag they have and woah their bigger bags are pricyyyy😢 Hopefully I can find something she likes. Also for blending the veggies.. WHAT a GREAT idea! I didn't think of that. She always tries to drink whatever I'm drinking, so maybe I can try that. I appreciate it!
DO WE HAVE THE SAME BIRD??! Jello ALWAYS tries to steal drinks and food- so yeah! Definitely try eating the pellets/veggies in front of her and make a big deal about it. Dont share at first. Act like its all urs and ur gettin fat and happy off it it. Then leave some in a place where you know theyll attempt to steal a bite, or offer some mid-bite. I got jello hooked on kale, spinach, greenbean and strawberry/blueberry(for taste) puree. As for harrisons/tops pellets, keep em in ur freezer so they stay fresh

OP
Levi's Wife

Levi's Wife

Sep 23, 2022
Parrots
DO WE HAVE THE SAME BIRD??! Jello ALWAYS tries to steal drinks and food- so yeah! Definitely try eating the pellets/veggies in front of her and make a big deal about it. Dont share at first. Act like its all urs and ur gettin fat and happy off it it. Then leave some in a place where you know theyll attempt to steal a bite, or offer some mid-bite. I got jello hooked on kale, spinach, greenbean and strawberry/blueberry(for taste) puree. As for harrisons/tops pellets, keep em in ur freezer so they stay fresh
Ah I got Harrisons pellets yesterday since EVERYONE in the bird community recommends them 😂 I trried eating it infront of her but I'm still not sure if he's EATING it or just crushing it. Ughhh my bird is so spoiled... I tried putting some on her favorite fruit, apples, but NOW she won't even eat them! God this bird... love her though 🤦‍♀️

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Sounds to me like you're actually kind of ahead of the game. The fact that he's touching the pellets at all, let alone chewing them up is huge. That means at bare minimum, he's willing to check them out and taste them, and he may very well be eating some of it already. He's still very new to you, and to the diet change, and parrots in general accept change much slower than our expectations. So yes, keep an eye on his weight, and don't force the change faster than he's ready for, but keep offering the pellets and veggies. He'll get there, just maybe a little slower than you thought. Patience is your friend. Totally worth the wait. :)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Ive heard You can use the pellet dust to make birdie bread. Ive never tried it though
Yes! Top's always seems to have a bunch of leftover powder by the time we get to the bottom of the bag. I throw it in the mix when I make a batch of birdie bread. :)

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
Hi! I hope you're having a great day so far.
I. Need. Help! So I got my conure, Kirby, the RoudyBush pellet brand. Also, some background info that might help is that she was on an all seed diet and I got her maybe about a week ago(We are the best of friends already) So she LOVES apples and strawberries, but I failed at trying to feed her veggies. Also, back to the pellets... She kind of chews it up, but I think she's just crushing it rather than eating it. I read a website that said something like for the first week do 75 percent seeds and then 25 percent pellets and then gradually decrease the seeds per week. Should I order another brand of pellet since I don't think she likes them? Or should I wait and take the websites advice to gradually decrease the seeds? Any other advice would help me as well. Thank you for your time.
A trick I read ...tried..and worked for me to get 4 budgies and a green cheeked conure all on pellets within 1 week. I crushed the pellets into a powder...mixed in a little water to make a paste..rolled the seeds around in the paste and then dry a little..birds eat the seeds but taste the pellets on the way...it worked for me

OP
Levi's Wife

Levi's Wife

Sep 23, 2022
Parrots
UPDATE: I got her to eat pellets! Thank goodness! Thanks for yalls help

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
UPDATE: I got her to eat pellets! Thank goodness! Thanks for yalls help
WOOOOOOO!!!!! But the real question is.... did YOU eat the pellets? In my own psycho experience... Ive consumed more pellets than Id like to admit. Harrisons tastes the best 😬

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
WOOOOOOO!!!!! But the real question is.... did YOU eat the pellets? In my own psycho experience... Ive consumed more pellets than Id like to admit. Harrisons tastes the best 😬
I agree. In my efforts to persuade Willow that “pellets are good” I found that Harrison’s are much tastier than zupreem. A bit nutty, and not fishy like zupreem. Aaack!

OP
Levi's Wife

Levi's Wife

Sep 23, 2022
Parrots
AH you exposed me! I ate SO many pellets. What a tragic story it was 😭😂 I couldn't fake it well enough, so I just had to resort to actually EATING them. The things I do for this bird😌

Most Reactions