Plucking and change of color in skin

Oct 4, 2021
Parrots
Nanday conure
I recently adopted a nanday conure from a friend who wasnā€™t sure how to take care of her. I noticed that she doesnā€™t look like other parrots šŸ¦œ, she also is plucking her feathers, her skin looks kinda of orange. Iā€™m not a bird expert but I could really use some advise, I plan to take her to the vet ASAP.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums, Artemis's mommy and Artemis! Kudos to you for adopting her and giving her a chance at a better life!

Plucking is definitely one of the more vexing traits of parrots. There may be multiple triggers, ranging from stress, pain, boredom, failure to learn appropriate preening behaviours, lack of parental guidance through to sub-standard hand rearing and weaning methods, temperament traits and genetic factors. Unfortunately conures do seem to be one of several species more prone to it. Itā€™s also important to remember though that sometimes even the most loved and otherwise physically healthy parrot who receives the very best of care can become a habitual plucker for no earthly reason that we can discern.

One of our esteemed former moderators began a thread with a description of the issues and resources to help mitigate or end plucking:

I think you are very wise to consult an avian vet about Artemis's condition too, and hopefully the following link should help you find one in your location...

I'm sure some of our other members will weigh in with some more advice and info for you soon, but in the meantime thank you so much for adopting and reaching out for help for Artemis. I'm so glad the two of you are here!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly great information provided above and well worth the time spent reading.

That said, its time to set an appointment with a Avian Medical Professional commonly know as a Certified Avian Vet (CAV) (North America) and take your Parrot in for a New Parrot Examination. Parrot skin is commonly translucent and specific colors can be seen in different areas represent the interior structures. Seeing changes in those colors would be rare.

Most Reactions

Latest posts