Plum head male or female?

petrusi

Oct 10, 2021
Parrots
Plum heads
Hey,

So I got a young Plum head parakeet. It's a medium sized parrot. And I know the characteristics of both male and female but when they are young. You usually can't tell the diffirence. Males have a pink/plumish head with a black ring around the neck while females have a dull bluish gray head. But since my parrot is around 5 months old it has a grayish head. I was told by the previous keeper he is still supposed to get the plum. If he is male that is. I was wondering does someone here know at what age they are supposed to get that pigmentation? Thanks in advance!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello and welcome!!!

I believe it's around 2 year mark, similar to ringnecks, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Instead of waiting you could do a dna test as well, if the gender is very important to you. So neither the breeder knows the gender?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hello and welcome!!!

I believe it's around 2 year mark, similar to ringnecks, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Instead of waiting you could do a dna test as well, if the gender is very important to you. So neither the breeder knows the gender?
males attain full adult male plumage at 30 months most of the time 15 months for female

OP
P

petrusi

Oct 10, 2021
Parrots
Plum heads
Hello and welcome!!!

Thanks a bunch!
The gender itself isn't very important to me I was just curious. Also male Plum heads tend to be more intelligent and talkative. That's what I read hahaha.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
males attain full adult male plumage at 30 months most of the time 15 months for female
Thanks a bunch!
The gender itself isn't very important to me I was just curious. Also male Plum heads tend to be more intelligent and talkative. That's what I read hahaha.
I guess you'll have to sit and wait then! :p I never had a plumhead, only an IRN, but they both come from the same genus and are similar in behaviour. My male IRN was a really lively bunch, lived up to 28 years!

Good luck with your new friend! And oh, be sure to share some pics of him/her with us ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts