Poo Questions

Carpinslerk

Mar 29, 2012
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Sun Conure
Alright,

So i've been around my little Sun Conure since he was 2 months, he's now 8 months old, he was on a seed diet (with fruit and veggies) for about 6 months of his life and his poo was always a dark green colour which I assumed to be normal.

I then changed his diet to a pellet (Vetafarm Nutriblend if that means anything to anyone, they're rainbow coloured) and a few days later his poo became a lighter green colour, again I assumed it to be normal.

About 2 days ago however I switched him to another Vetafarm pellet diet, it's a south american mix which is recommended to be fed to conures and his poo has now gone to a light brown sort of colour, the last few poos have been this colour so it wasn't just once off and they've both had a little spot of red in them. His veggies haven't changed and I can't think of any reason he would be bleeding, no different behaviour at all, the only change is the colour.

Should I be concerned? I'll be talking to my vet tomorrow when I go to work but in the meantime is there anything I should do? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carp

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Is it a bloody red? I do not feed Vetafarm so I don't know what to tell you. Contacting your vet would be a wise thing to do. Let us know the results. Good Luck!

OP
C

Carpinslerk

Mar 29, 2012
Parrots
Sun Conure
I should have mentioned that, it's not so much red as it is deep orange, i've not seen conure blood before but i've seen canary and finch blood and I wouldn't call them the same colour. As I said he's been acting fine and is still eating as much as normal of his pellets. I'll talk to the vet about it tomorrow though just to be on the safe side (working at a pet store with an attatched vet is the handiest thing ever!)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Carp,
If i feed mine chillies, carrot or capsicum they have brick red droppings. I have never had a bird with spots of red in the dropping unless they have been chewing on a red toy or something. If they bleed from the intestines you will know. Every dropping is just blood.

I would take a sample of the dropping & get the Vet to have a look through the microscope.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I agree with Pedro. Different pellets and foods can cause colored droppings, but it is the spots of red that might be blood that are concerning.

OP
C

Carpinslerk

Mar 29, 2012
Parrots
Sun Conure
Well the vet agreed that the brown was the pellets, i've not worried too much about the red because it was just those two poos and he's all good now. The vet assured me that if he's all okay there's nothing to worry about. Thanks for the help anyway guys.. I realised their diet had a huge impact on their poop but didn't know it could change the colour so much!

Thanks a lot!
Carp

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm glad all is well! Yes, Rowdy poops rainbows from her pellets. And after eating a strawberry yesterday there was a huge, wet red poop.

Most Reactions

Latest posts