Poor feather health

Lucabird

Feb 20, 2019
My red-bellied conure has always had issues with his feathers. They grow well only for him to damage them, especially his wings and tail. He cannot fly because of the damage to his wing feathers. He doesn’t pluck but he plays roughly alone. He will often hang in his cage flapping and playing but it causes them to snap and weaken. He has a large cage so there’s plenty of room and his diet is good also. The growth isn’t an issue as they do grow back healthy but it doesn’t take long for him to snap them off again. I’ll try and get pics but in the meantime does anyone have anything that works to prevent this?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Please post pics, might help to better understand and give advice!

Some birds are rougher on feathers, as long as you can verify he is in good health there many not be much to do. Periodic well-check with avian vet a good thing! Frequent bathing may also be a benefit.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I also had a similar issue and purchased feather supplements that seemed to really help. About 2 months of take them (painkilling on her food) she’s now flying!

Most Reactions

Latest posts