Possible emergency please respond ASAP if your an IRN expert

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
3 year old indian ringneck
Hey so recently i was playing with roy my IRN, and he hit his head i heard a loud noise and he immediately flew down and hid under a table from how scared he was.. once he hit his head it left this dark yellowish mark.. and he was shivering and everything i am really worried should i take him to a vet or not? (I will attach a picture of the mark) also i am sorry if u noticed any kind of typo i am typing this in a rush because i want an answer immediately pleasee thanks i wish you and ur birds a great day

Attachments

• 9AD4050D-3151-49A4-B559-15EADF13ADAD.jpeg
    9AD4050D-3151-49A4-B559-15EADF13ADAD.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
Hey so if your an IRN expert please answer. it may be an emergency
Anyway but why is roy's back like this? (Ill attach a picture)

Attachments

• FB3AB632-7568-47DE-B7F7-6907E8D71049.jpeg
    FB3AB632-7568-47DE-B7F7-6907E8D71049.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 42

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
That's one of his little down feathers sticking out - it's nothing to worry about :)

They have these little down feathers all over their body under their other feathers, to help him regulate his temperature. They fall out now and then and it's totally normal.

My African ringneck pulled out all his normal feathers so he only has these little soft white feathers on his body and he looks like a little ball of cotton with a normal green head - it's how he got his name, Cotton :)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Will he let you gently move the feathers to look at his head skin? The feathers might be too short to really look well. I wonder if maybe he had a teeny amount of blood from a little feather that he hit?

How is he acting now? It sounds like he stayed awake the whole time even when he was shaking and quiet, right?

If he's acting strangely or isn't eating/drinking normally I'd call the vet.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Also note, just above their tail on their back is the uropygial gland, sometimes called a preening gland or oil gland, and you will see Roy access that gland often when preening.

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
That's one of his little down feathers sticking out - it's nothing to worry about :)

They have these little down feathers all over their body under their other feathers, to help him regulate his temperature. They fall out now and then and it's totally normal.

My African ringneck pulled out all his normal feathers so he only has these little soft white feathers on his body and he looks like a little ball of cotton with a normal green head - it's how he got his name, Cotton :)
Sorry for the late response he's fine now!

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
Will he let you gently move the feathers to look at his head skin? The feathers might be too short to really look well. I wonder if maybe he had a teeny amount of blood from a little feather that he hit?

How is he acting now? It sounds like he stayed awake the whole time even when he was shaking and quiet, right?

If he's acting strangely or isn't eating/drinking normally I'd call the vet.
He is good now sorry for the late resp!

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
As a survival mechanism, Indian Ringnecks tend to avoid showing weakness at all costs, so it can be difficult to know when they are seriously hurt.

I tend to err on the side of caution, and I take them to the vet if I know something happened to them that could potentially have bad repercussions. Nationwide does pet insurance for birds. They are one of (if not the only) company that will insure birds that I've found. It's definitely been worth it for my peace of mind.

The difficulty that I tend to have is finding a vet that's open when my bird needs help. It's almost always after hours, and there are so few vets out there that work with avian exotics in my area.

Most Reactions

Latest posts