possible future parrot owner.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Parottletes are actually Parrots Ben, smallest of the parrot family, they can speak, but can't scream, which is a BIG plus in my book....lol, thay act very much like their big cousins the amazons, except without much of the attitude the big guys sometimes have, their intelegent, comical, acrobatic, come in many colors and are alot less expensive than the large parrots, easy to keep too, their only about 5 inches or so, another really cool bird with alot of the same characteristics is the Bee Bee parrot or Tovi Parakeet, I had one a long time ago, one of the most comical birds that ever owned me, rarely see them anymore here in the states.....

lol I know they are parrots, I just wondered how they are in comparison to budgies because they are the only other small parrot I have met;)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
In compairing a budgie to a parrotlet, I guess it all depends what you want from a comapion bird,in my opinion its like compairing a finch to a macaw as far as interaction, well maybe not that harsh, but very very different birds anyway, not wanting to insult or enrage any budgie owners out there I do apologize if any are offended, just an opinion from personal interactions on my part......

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Wow I sure missed a lot over the weekend!! lol
Anyways, welcome to the forum! I agree about getting a big bird if you want a big bird. I have always wanted a big bird but can't afford one at the moment so I got a GCC and I still want a big bird lol!
For cuddling GCC's can be such BIG cuddlers. Hiroshi loves to snuggle into my neck and hands. Most seem to be pretty quiet as well although Hiroshi is a little noise box. They are also nippy.
Good luck with any choice you make :) It's awesome your doing research before diving in, there is so much to learn!

OP
spaced

spaced

Jul 4, 2010
Media
qld australia
are Lineolated Parakeets very different to IRNs as far as temperament, personality, noise?

i seem to be getting drawn towards the more compact type of parrot at the moment. both of these varieties are beautiful as far as looks go.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Princess parrots are always available. Not sure on personallity though. Lovebirds are not my favourite parrot. The ones I have met scream and aren't tame at all. Cockatiels are good.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Yes, Lovebirds are extremely noisy. I was at the pet store just today, and they were chirping very loudly and repetitively. If this doesn't bother you at all, you can read more about them here: Lovebirds as Pets

It might be annoying to some, but I honestly found it really cute. :D

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Princess parrots are always available. Not sure on personallity though. Lovebirds are not my favourite parrot. The ones I have met scream and aren't tame at all. Cockatiels are good.

Got me thinking, what about King Parrots? I have a friend who has a male with a huge personality. They are a little bigger and i'm not sure about noise (the books say they are quiet in captivity, but who knows what that means), but definitely worth considering IMO - just to make the descision easier :rolleyes:

oh, and they can also talk pretty well

Last edited:

Most Reactions