Possible Sick cockatiel

bouda118

Dec 28, 2014
I lost my first cockatiel at the start of this years ( he had a good run of 15 years ) i never once had an issue of sickness with him, I recently acquired another, iv had her since she was 6 weeks old and handfed/weened her, Shes now about 4 months old,

The issue i face is i haven't seen her drink in nearly 4 days. We had some really hot days of 40 degrees Celsius, but the past few days have been nothing but rain, At first i put it down to not been so hot, But its going on just short of day 4 that i have not seen her have a drink. Shes eating fine and shes still very energetic/hypo shes still talking just no matter what i do i cant get her to drink.

She has water in her cage but in the 4 months i have had her i have never once seen her once drink it, 95% of her time is spent out of the cage, Her normal drinking routine is from a glass cup when she see's me drink, and its always been that way.

Day2 i mixed up some honey biscuit and warm water mix and syringed her just to get some fluids into her...

I have no vets in my immediate area, Should i be worried? Thanks in advance.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay.....

I'm sorry for your loss, but as you said, 15 years is a good live for a 'tiel.....

What are you feeding your new bird? Is there anything in its feed that would give it moisture, fruits, watery foods? If so, there's a good chance that's where it's getting it's moisture...baths and/or showers will give it water too, even though you don't see it drink.....and since young birds copy their flock members in eating & drinking, the drinking from your glass may be the only moisture the bird needs.....Unless you have been hand feeding this biscuit mix to your 'tiel, I would be very careful that you don't cause your bird to aspirate any food by syringing solid foods to it.....

OP
B

bouda118

Dec 28, 2014
Her food only consist of seed/Vitapellets, Unfortunately shes been a pain when it comes to eating fruit and veg, Prior to this she would have atleast "3 drinks aday from the glass, She did have a bath after my initial post, But still no luck on actually witnessing her drink.

I could be just overly worrying on nothing as she doesnt seem sickly shes still herself and shes still eating fine her poops look healthy and no excessive urine to indicate dehydration, Its just doing my head in because normally she takes to water well >.> To clarify with syringe, She was "forced it" just ate the drops as they come out, she wasnt too keen on it anyway she took more off a spoon than the syringe.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Once the baby matures a bit, they don't really drink that much water. You probably just never see her drink anything while your watching. But if your really concerned you should have a wellness check by a avian vet.

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I think she's perfectly fine, but you never know. I rarely ever see Kiko drink(but I know he does because I've 'spied' on him before). He doesn't drink alot at all actually, and when he does it's a 'sip' or two at a time. It takes less than a minute for them to get a drink, so I'm sure she could have drank when you were not watching her. And during baths, they also have liquids going into their body, even if she isn't necessarily 'drinking' it.

Also, with more watery fruits and veggies, the less Kiko drinks.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
2nd serious thing I'll post today, find an avian vet. If you're very remote then try online help and livestock vets can also help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts