Possible Yeast Infection

pearlthegoffin

Sep 29, 2021
Oakland, Michigan.
Parrots
23 y/o Goffins Cockatoo ~ PEARLšŸ¤
Hello, Guys!

I have an appointment with my avian vet tomorrow but I was wondering if any parrot parents have experienced this with their bird? My baby Pearl has been acting weird since last night (weird being she seems uncomfortable to sit/relax and climb her cage) so iā€™ve taken extra precautions when it comes to her health and behaviorā€¦ I noticed a possible sore this morning under my parrots elbow/armpit that looks very tender, wet, and a foul sour smell. I was thinking that itā€™s a yeast infection or some sort bacterial/fungal infection? No change in diet, toys, droppings. only behavior. Has any other cockatoo parents had anything like this happen before? From research what I decided to do was rinse the area with diluted 1% hydrogen peroxide and let the solution sit in her armpit for about 1/2 minutes and pat dry. she shows no sign of being distressed except wanting to pluck/preen the area. (im also thinking about doing an apple cider vinegar rinse before tomorrows vet appointment UPDATE: i did it before she went to bed tonight) Iā€™m attaching a couple photos so people can give me some input! Please be kind! Iā€™m trying my best to be a parrot mama.

UPDATE: I did some more research and it looks like dermatitis (Iā€™m not an avian vet obviously but i saw a similar infection online.)

Thanks,
- Jenna (Pearl the Goffinā€™s)

Attachments

• 5A2043D8-8FCB-4314-ADA5-B7FE9DEF68F8.jpeg
    5A2043D8-8FCB-4314-ADA5-B7FE9DEF68F8.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 6CEB7901-E7B2-4BA3-85C3-8CC5870088CB.jpeg
    6CEB7901-E7B2-4BA3-85C3-8CC5870088CB.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 5E92E9B8-932A-4427-B27E-CA821B1B6920.jpeg
    5E92E9B8-932A-4427-B27E-CA821B1B6920.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I see broken skin , a little blood, inflammation, and signs of infection of some type.

Good thing you are going to the vet. Keep us updated! Hopefully easy to treat.

How is weight? Weight drop is usually the first sign of issues before you get behavior change. As burds hide being sick. But you have the obvious skin issue as a heads up. I'm very glad you are going to the vet.

OP
pearlthegoffin

pearlthegoffin

Sep 29, 2021
Oakland, Michigan.
Parrots
23 y/o Goffins Cockatoo ~ PEARLšŸ¤
Thank you for your response @Laurasea,
I do see the broken skin iā€™m wondering if itā€™s from plucking. & no weight loss she eats so well, and sheā€™s well hydrated! Iā€™ll know more tomorrow. this all just popped up out of no whereā€¦ no red flags until yesterday evening.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
It's amazing you got an appointment so quickly! My bird had a weird foot infection.her foot had a green tint. We went to three avian vets who all had a different opinion. I believed it was a weird fungal infection and Dr.orosz thought the same. I used diluted betadine( Anne was already on an antibiotic and pain medication) Dr.Orosz said that was fine ND suggested a couple of other treatments and to watch to make sure it didn't expand. My parrot's toes were tinted green and had no open wounds.. Betadine is used in surgery and to clean surface area of your skin and wounds. I couldn't find any photos of fungal infections like your birds but I did find these articles
" In cases of rhodotoruliasis, the bird will develop a yellowish crust over the skin in the axillary area of the wings or thighs that if left untreated, will develop into horny growths"-https://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/blog/posts/common-bacterial-and-fungal-skin-infections-in-birds.html

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?pId=11131&id=3843993&print=1

This one talks about a possible link to a vitamin A deficiency that causes the fungal infection

Good luck at tomorrow's appointment!

Most Reactions

Latest posts