Possibly getting a pair of budgies!

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
So nothing is set in stone yet. But at petco I saw a free budgie pair with cage. I asked my mom about it and she said "Maybe." So.... I have a few questions.
It says they have "good temperament." Not quite sure what they means exactly. It means at least that they aren't aggressive and at most that they are cuddly and love humans. I don't care if they are cuddly or not, I just want them to like being around me eventually.
-They are two birds. So I'm worried that they will only be attached to each other, or worse be a boy and a girl and have hatchlings O-o Are budgies like that? Can you have a pair and still have them be attached to you?
-And lastly, I'm a bit concerned Kirby will be jealous if I get more birds.
But its still just a thought, so I might not be getting them at all. The thought excites me, though! :)
Thanks! :yellow1:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I really would not trust much of their info , most of it is not really the best options . Pepsi and Sprite live together and they still have a solid relationship . The problem with pair is because you have to have contact with them daily. Just do a lot of reinforcing on your relationship , after a month you won't have to worry . I don't think they would be cuddly , just not flap around when they change the cage the and food , because I yet have to find a petco that handled their small birds . Budgies are a delight , don't base them on their size because they could act like little macaws sometimes :D . Kirby will accept them when he wants them , but try not to decrease your time with Kirby . Usually budgies will not mate unless they have a nest , though sometimes they would . What's the budgies cere colors ?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
you can work with either budgie for taming purposes, but chances are they are bonded, and won't want much to do with you.
Having said that, it never hurts to try, and you might be able to at least get them to eat from your hand.
Your Kak may not accept these birds. My Kak got very aggressive with my cockatiels, and I had to re-home him eventually. He would give them very nasty bites.
but again, you have to try to see what will come of it.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
It was a flier, they weren't FROM petco.

Well, I really do not want to risk making Kirby unhappy and having to rehome the budgies so I probably wouldnt get them. But I do want another bird eventually and I dont want to not be able to get more birds because of Kirby. Hopefully he will accept another bird when(if) I get another one. ^_^

Most Reactions