Post mating depression?

MsKista

May 5, 2021
I have 2 green cheek conures. Female Kami is 6, male Junho is 3. During the day they are free range in my tiny apartment, at night they love their cage and go in willingly. She has never mated, never laid an egg.

When she was in heat a month ago, Kami accepted Junho's constant humping, however she kept her tail tucked tightly instead of allowing access. Not properly mating.
She didn't "get pregnant" although she thought she did and they took over the back of the sofa. The first day or so, I allowed it but it got crazy. They even slept there!
When I checked on them, she was setting, as if on eggs. She barely came out and he fed her himself. He was so attentive. Such a good husband. I was able to see that there were no eggs.
They both began aggressively defended their fortress, the sofa, and attacked our feet until I'd had enough. I pulled the sofa away from the wall and put an end to the madness. Everything went back to normal.
Sorry it's so long but.... I wanted to create a safe space in case they started up again so I put a small box in their big night cage.
Here's where the problem is:
Junho, the male, stays inside the box all day. He only comes out to eat. He's healthy, interacts with her and with me normally. If he hears a "danger" or thinks I'm bothering Kami, he pops out and hurries to stand by her side.
She doesn't join him during the day but goes in at night and they're both reluctant to leave the cage in the morning for fresh breakfast food, but once she's out she avoids going back in until bedtime. She watches the box hoping he will come out and is so happy when he does. She seems bored and lonely without his companionship.

So. Why does he stay in there all day? Is he depressed or confused that she won't let him hump her anymore? (She fought him the last few times he tried and he started doing it without her) Is it a nest placeholder to him, for next time? He defends it like territory.
Do I strip away the box and make him rejoin the family? Or let it play out?

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don’t know about Conure’s but Cockatiels split the nest duty.
One sex will nest sit daytime and the other at night.

I think most here will tell you to remove the box.
But I could be wrong.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I don’t know about Conure’s but Cockatiels split the nest duty.
One sex will nest sit daytime and the other at night.

I think most here will tell you to remove the box.
But I could be wrong.

Conures don't split the incubation roles, they're either both in the box together or the male leaves for a brief moment to bring back food for the female

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
My male Conure does the same, very protective of their breeding box. He'll sit in there 70% of the day even when they're not breeding simply 'working' the box and making sure nothing gets in there.

If you aren't intending to breed, take the box out immediately.........it'll just get worse until eventually the female lays eggs and they breed

OP
MsKista

MsKista

May 5, 2021
Okay, so I took out the box and have seen an immediate change. Poor Junho, he was confused when he came back from lunch and saw his little cubby wasn't there.
He stared and stared. I wish I had taped it.
Anyway, now he's back, next to Kami's side as he should be.
Thanks for all the good advice and info!
I'm glad it's over ..until next year?

OP
MsKista

MsKista

May 5, 2021
My male Conure does the same, very protective of their breeding box. He'll sit in there 70% of the day even when they're not breeding simply 'working' the box and making sure nothing gets in there.

This sounds like what is happening. They were sleeping in it at night, and I haven't made an option for them.
Where do your birds sleep at night? Just on a stick in the open?
I had only one bird for a long time, my little soulbird, and I brought Kami to help him with grooming and friendship. He was sickly from baby.
Well he passed :( and then I got Junho for her.
So I'm experienced with one bird, not so much with couple birds.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots

This sounds like what is happening. They were sleeping in it at night, and I haven't made an option for them.
Where do your birds sleep at night? Just on a stick in the open?
I had only one bird for a long time, my little soulbird, and I brought Kami to help him with grooming and friendship. He was sickly from baby.
Well he passed :( and then I got Junho for her.
So I'm experienced with one bird, not so much with couple birds.

My birds sleep in their nesting box when they're breeding, and when they aren't breeding they sleep on a perch at the back of the aviary (i remove the boxes when they need to stop breeding)

Most Reactions

Latest posts