Potential Amazon adoption advice

birdnerd301

Jan 13, 2020
Hi,

Hopefully I posted this right! Long story short, I potentially might be adopting a male amazon. He's been trying to find a home for a very long time, and no luck. I feel like I would be a good fit for him and he badly needs a home. This would all be done as safely as possible with covid.

I have two parrots of my own, a CAG named Loki (5 years old) and an U2 named Nemo (probably 8 years old). Both incredibly friendly, although and very likely to take to a new bird well. Nemo was adopted, so I have some experience with settling birds in. He has since been doing incredibly well and has even improved on some issues that his old owner said were very common before.

Only problem is I know next to nothing about amazons. I follow a few on Instagram but no real other experience. If anyone has any stories about their amazon, or something they wish they knew before they got an amazon, I would love to hear your input! Any skills I might have not picked up with my grey and cockatoo that would be useful for an amazon owner?

Loud noise, grouchiness and sassy attitudes don't scare me away!

Thank you all in advance for your comments! I hope you're all keeping well!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
If you go in forum amazons there are some great threads pinned! What kind of amazon are you possibly adopting? I just adopted one! She’s great! She is an oranges winged amazon and so sweet! She is louder than I expected- all my birds are pretty quiet. I am teaching inside voice and it seems to do the trick somewhat! Do you have pictures!?

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I did get her a Seagrass rabbit hut - she enjoys dismantling it :). She doesn’t just shreds it she is unweaving it from the button up.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is never any assurance that any Parrot will get along with any other Parrot!

Understand that there is always the possibility of Health issues when bring a new Parrot into your home. Please assure that the new member is seen by an Avian Medical Professional either on the way home after picking-up the new member (best practice) or shortly after obtaining the new member.

Separation from your current members for at least two weeks is appropriate...

Amazons are the largest family of New World Parrots and all Parrots Worldwide. Resulting from the number of species within the Amazon family and their wide distribution of size and mannerism, providing a guess at what this specific Amazon will be like is impossible to say the less.

Information Regarding Living With Amazons:
- Read with Detail, the Amazon Sub-Forum and specifically the two 'Sticky Threads at the top of the Forum. Since, it is likely this Amazon is an Adult, please first read Understanding Amazon Body Language as Adult Amazons expect you to know what they are communicating to you! This is a reading assignment that requires re-reading regularly...
- Developing a Relationship with an Amazon requires the Human to assures that only good things happen when Humans are around.

-- It would be wise to at least provide the specific species of Amazon you are looking at! It will help greatly in getting more specific information!
-- The age of this Amazon is very important for a number of reasons:
- As a family, all Amazons are classified as endangered and in North American, any Amazon under four years of age, requires a CITES, Hatch Certificate.
- Amazons under the age of 8 are either just entering, well with in or just exiting the transition from childhood to adulthood. Some can have serious problems completing this journey.

Far more, later...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts