Potentially adopting a "complicated" galah

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Have them scan your Parrot, just in case he had been microchipped.

If not consider having him microchipped. Locks ownership in place for now and in the future.

Congratulations! Remember, the honeymoon period, so enjoy everything that is flowing well at this point. With great hope, the joy will simply keep-on, keeping-on.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Moving is so stressful. Poor baby, today he seems to be sleeping a lot when we are both in the room. Eating, drinking, vocalizing. But napping a lot. Likely he hasn't gotten much sleep the past couple days. Contact calling when hubbs is out of the room. He let me give him head scritches! :3

I opened the fruity pellets and gave him some, but he doesn't seem to like them much. Happily he seems willing to eat the Mazuri pellets tho. And they are an acceptable size for him, even tho the stupid company sells them as macaw size pellets. *eye roll*

Oh well, it is convenient that he and Freedom can eat the same pellets tho.

We have been calling him "Pink Pigeon" or "Pidge". But that is a nickname and we are still thinking about a real name for him. :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Honestly, I like pink pigeon!!! That's a unique and fitting name! Noodles only gets called her real name when I am talking about her to others or if she is being bad lol! Otherwise it's, big pig, chick butt, feather but, hamburger patty ???, goba pig, Stinky Susan or any number of other strange names that just seem to pop out when I talk to her haha

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I like 'Cicero', which is Latin for 'chickpea' (nickname of the great Roman orator).

Think of it this way: someone called 'Chickpea' will *never* be a Senator of Rome, but a bloke called Cicero darned well might! ;)

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I like Cicero too! Unfortunately we play too much Skyrim for that! Haha Cicero is the name of a mad character in the Dark Brotherhood, an assassin guild! I also like Jester.

Freedom is super jealous. She can hear the pigeon in the other room and she seems a little insecure perhaps. I am actually okay with this, because it has translated to her being more affectionate and good natured with me. In her previous home there was another large bird, and she has been the only biggie since we adopted her a year and a half ago, so maybe it isn't insecurity? Maybe she is liking that there is another large bird around.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Freedom is super jealous. She can hear the pigeon in the other room and she seems a little insecure perhaps. I am actually okay with this, because it has translated to her being more affectionate and good natured with me. In her previous home there was another large bird, and she has been the only biggie since we adopted her a year and a half ago, so maybe it isn't insecurity? Maybe she is liking that there is another large bird around.

The wonder of time is that is seems to answer near all questions! :D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
All I've got left is 'Banjo'.

Banjo Paterson was the great Australian folk poet who wrote the great poem 'The Man From Snowy River'. He also penned the well-known Oz ballad, 'Waltzing Matilda'. When you mention his name, most Australians immediately think of rolling wheatfields, coolibah trees and flocks of galahs wheeling against cloudless blue skies. :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
what about Totero?
18439_TeamLogo_1581341544.jpg

Here's a semi-annoying video about him, in case you don't know what he is lol:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3EIoM3w_x0"]My Neighbor Totoro: Why We Need Totoro - YouTube[/ame] (possible spoilers...lol )

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi hun congrats on your new pink punk LOL. I have two, one recently taken on a long foster. Seriously messed up by humans Grrr! Makes me so cross. I would if you are able to have full bloods, you will be better informed to know how he is and you will have a baseline for the future. Sonu is my third pink punk, been through two previous homes and two safe houses that were good but he doesn't like beards and just didnt make any progress at the second. He plucks, all around his middle was bare, also a little mutilation under wing, making a slow improvement but honestly he was terrified when we bought him home from the charity handover. Galah's can become phobic if in a scared state and then are pushed and that is an up hill battle. I allow Sonu to dictate events and bless him he is making slow progress. I have him on Harrison's High Potency Fine pellets for six month period and then will swap over to the Adult Lifetime. He like my other pink girlie likes Harrison's. Fresh foods are the main order of the day, as many diff foods of many colours as possible in a chop, he loves this. He gets other fresh bits and I sprout a lentil, mung bean and chick pea mix. Small pieces of nuts are given as treats. I am very conscious that they are prone to becoming over weight and fatty liver issues. Oh I do give the pink punks a little Neophema seed at night (mainly grass seeds), I find their droppings are better if a little seed is incorporated into their diet. They flip flop in terms of people/person choice, the best option is to decide who is head honcho and then that person feeds and cleans; that would be me here! Hubby still has a good relationship with the two girls and Plum before but they know who is the one when things are not right to look for.

Sonu sits most of the day looking out into the garden, he is in same room as my other two girls which is fine. He only has come out of his cage twice, by accident, flew out while I was cleaning. I did quarantine him for a few weeks before mixing just in case.

I did contemplate a name change but they do get to know their name so felt this was unfair to him.

(PS I have only have a band cut off if it is too tight, microchipping as mentioned is a good call if not already done, if so remember to get in touch to prob pay a fee and update his details. I try hard to keep all mine away from artificial colours and additives, they dont need them.)

Thank you for taking an older bird, it may take a little while for Mojo to settle in but he will melt your heart!

Last edited:
OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
So, we are seeing some things the previous owner lied about I think. The screaming when hubbs is out of the room, he has nipped me a couple of times, he doesn't seem to actually be eating pellets after more observation. He is powdering them and tossing them out of the cage. Not digging thru dish for something better and some get knocked out the way Freedom sometimes does, a very purposeful pick up a pellet, walk to bars, throw on floor behavior. I have been giving him some cockatiel seed each day. He doesn't seem picky about seeds despite what they said. He will eat peanuts, sunflower as expected, but also eats the little white millet, wheat berries, buckwheat, etc etc etc. Eats every single bit of small seeds.

I gave him a seagrass mat and yes, he was afraid at first, but as of yesterday he will hang out on it and shred it. I don't think they tried very hard to get him to accept toys and such.

Also a few weird things... I sent a text the day after we brought him home with a short update and asking if they want us to stay in touch and give updates. They never responded. Plus the not giving his old food, etc. In communication they made it seem both were involved with the bird and the wife loved the bird, but in our home he LOVES my husband, and has since the moment he came home, and doesn't care too much for me. He isn't mean or aggressive or anything, but I am clearly an afterthought to him.

We are officially making him hubbs' first bird, tho I of course will be helping every step of the way. But Hubbs has never really had his "very own bird" and the Pigeon clearly has chosen him so I think this has the potential to work out amazingly. :)

He also doesn't act very cagebound. Altho this could be due to the "honeymoon phase" effect. Seems like he almost always wants to come out. :confused:

Oh well. Mr. B, you called it. Seems frequently people fib at least a little when they are trying to rehome a bird. Calls into question everything they said to some extent tho. Is he even a 9 year old bird? Who knows

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
So, we are seeing some things the previous owner lied about I think. The screaming when hubbs is out of the room, he has nipped me a couple of times, he doesn't seem to actually be eating pellets after more observation. He is powdering them and tossing them out of the cage. Not digging thru dish for something better and some get knocked out the way Freedom sometimes does, a very purposeful pick up a pellet, walk to bars, throw on floor behavior. I have been giving him some cockatiel seed each day. He doesn't seem picky about seeds despite what they said. He will eat peanuts, sunflower as expected, but also eats the little white millet, wheat berries, buckwheat, etc etc etc. Eats every single bit of small seeds.

I gave him a seagrass mat and yes, he was afraid at first, but as of yesterday he will hang out on it and shred it. I don't think they tried very hard to get him to accept toys and such.

Also a few weird things... I sent a text the day after we brought him home with a short update and asking if they want us to stay in touch and give updates. They never responded. Plus the not giving his old food, etc. In communication they made it seem both were involved with the bird and the wife loved the bird, but in our home he LOVES my husband, and has since the moment he came home, and doesn't care too much for me. He isn't mean or aggressive or anything, but I am clearly an afterthought to him.

We are officially making him hubbs' first bird, tho I of course will be helping every step of the way. But Hubbs has never really had his "very own bird" and the Pigeon clearly has chosen him so I think this has the potential to work out amazingly. :)

He also doesn't act very cagebound. Altho this could be due to the "honeymoon phase" effect. Seems like he almost always wants to come out. :confused:

Oh well. Mr. B, you called it. Seems frequently people fib at least a little when they are trying to rehome a bird. Calls into question everything they said to some extent tho. Is he even a 9 year old bird? Who knows

Cockatoos can be really different without their established flock-- so just because you see things that the old owner said were non-issues does not mean that he/she lied. I know for a fact that mine could step up etc when I got her, and she did so for others as long as she was with her "person" but in a new environment, without that safety net, she definitely did things that were new. For instance, when I got her, she wouldn't step up for three months and prior to me adopting her, she started over-preening (despite liking the person who was housing her). Just because they act a certain way, doesn't mean they will stay the same with new people ---for better or worse. Even a bird in a miserable environment will sometimes get attached to that environment and take a ton of time to readjust when uprooted because familiarity is their favorite thing in captivity...Like stockholm syndrome sometimes, you know??

Also, keep in mind that even a terrible owner likely feels a sense of loss and grief when re-homing-- not all, but many....they probably knew they weren't doing a good job, but they still may have been attached.

Mine now steps up whenever (unless sick or terrified of an object in the room) and she also has stopped over-preening for the most part, although that took about 1-2 years before she really stopped...Even now, I can see that she will sometimes resort to that when stressed, although she has no visible bald spots like she did. She has had like 5 owners if you count the rescue and me, and while she was still stepping up etc at the rescue, that was when she started over-preening her feathers.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Hun take everything that was said with buckets of salt and start again. Ruby I purchased from a shop, told she was a two year old but was in fact true to her leg band and eleven years old. I didn't really care, (although who likes being lied to), I just wanted to get this sweet girl out of there and to the AV's asap.

When you bring a new one into your home I have found there is a window of opportunity for change in most things and food especially so a real good time to give plenty of fresh foods, start as you mean to go on, I won't give peanuts or sunflower seeds ever to the pink ones. If they have enough time to get used to certain foods it becomes difficult to change. These are very prone to high cholesterol problems so need to bear in mind. I lost Plum aged just thirteen, just wish I'd been more clued in the early days maybe he'd have had more of a chance and that is why sorry I bang on.

It is common for the pink ones to chop and change their mind on who they like, it's early days and relationships and trust are just beginning, this can take a good while. So who is the favoured one now may not be the case in twelve months time, OK? These are just amazing birds, enjoy!

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Oh I'm not discouraged. I agree about not caring too much, and I even was open about that when speaking with the previous owner. One of the gems of my heart was a very senior BFA I adopted/purchased from a pet shop where she was on consignment. I was told she was around 50 but my vet thought significantly older. She was an amazing wonderful little friend, I will never forget her. I only had her for about a year before she passed in my arms from a stroke. I don't care so much how old he is, and I am not really intimidated by behavior issues. I don't understand the lying tho, especially when I was clear that I am not afraid of "less than perfect" birds. Shrug. Tho Noodles has a really good point and it is possible they didn't lie at all and it is just settling in and being away from his old flock that is causing the deviation from what I was told.

Ok, so I will stop the cockatiel seed and mix up something with no sunflower or peanuts. I would really prefer if he would eat more of the pellets, but I'm not about to starve him into it. We have been offering fresh foods too. They are hit or miss. Will keep offering lots of variety tho.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
My cockatoo likes oatmeal, some seeds, spinach/lettuce, apples. pears, grapes (sometimes), peaches sweet potato, potato, rice (pre rinsed), some quinoa and pretty much anything else unhealthy lol-- she's super picky and I hate that, but we are doing better than we were when I first got her and she couldn't try anything...oh- and some pellets-- sorry- left that out.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Liars will lie.... Guess Pigeon is the ultimate winner being outta that home. As is your husband with his very own bird!

Cockatoos can be seed junkies, mine were decades ago when I was ignorant and before the age of internet enlightenment. They especially loved safflower and peanuts, ugh. Over the years I reduced seed in favor of Zupreem Fruit blend aka "Fruity Pebbles." Ultimately converted them to Harrison's within two weeks using their protocol. I think highly of their technique and link it often, should work regardless of pellet brand. (not pushing Harrison's) https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

Generally, my toos love sweet potato, yams, various beans including garbanzo, pinto, blackeye, lima, edamame in the shell (given sparingly) green peas, apple, pear, pomegranate seeds, melon seeds, banana, whole grain cooked spiral noodles, (they hate "snake-like" tubular noodles) oatmeal, grapes, bits of dense whole grain bread as treat.

As for Pigeon's age, guess everything stated is questionable. Hopefully you'll have decades together!

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
For what its worth, Australian cockatoos are all natural seed-eaters. They survive on wild grasses and the seeds of native trees, but these days they mostly eat cereal crops. While I've seen wild cockies chomp up the odd caterpillar and nibble at the growing tips of trees, I've *never* seen one voluntarily eat vegetables.

For this reason, I've always offered my native cockatoos an amount of seed in their diet. Rosetta gets roughly half-and half seeds and pellets. She needs the energy, honestly, because she *never* stops bopping around her cage. She runs and jumps and swings and flaps and is never still.

My galah, on the other hand, got about a teaspoon of millet every other day. He was very obese and spent long months on a diet. After that, he received about a tablespoon of seeds, but did quite well mainly on pellets and veggies.

A good way to introduce new veggies is to keep a variety in a bowl on the kitchen table. Sometimes my birds are suspicious of new foods, but much less so of 'new chewy toys' they find on the human table. I remember the first time Dominic bit into a piece of sweet potato. LOL! The look on his face was like 'Wow! Who knew this stuff tasted OK?'... and then, he went on a feeding frenzy.

LOLOL! Another time, hubby had brought home some plums for human consumption. Barney happened to bite one, found it very much to his liking and so plunged right into the fruit bowl, gobbling as much plum as he could get his beak on. I had to remove him, but by then, Madge had also got the idea that plums are great tucker and was dumpster diving in the fruit bowl as well. Fond memories! :)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
For what its worth, Australian cockatoos are all natural seed-eaters. They survive on wild grasses and the seeds of native trees, but these days they mostly eat cereal crops. While I've seen wild cockies chomp up the odd caterpillar and nibble at the growing tips of trees, I've *never* seen one voluntarily eat vegetables.

Interesting juxtaposition of wild vs captive toos. Guess our companion birds generally live slothful lives and cannot metabolize the calories and fats of abundant seed diets. Some of my goffins fly quite a bit, (far less than wild though) while others are content couch potatoes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Interesting juxtaposition of wild vs captive toos. Guess our companion birds generally live slothful lives and cannot metabolize the calories and fats of abundant seed diets. Some of my goffins fly quite a bit, (far less than wild though) while others are content couch potatoes.

Both of you have so very well stated it!!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
NB. Warning: post is too long: you don't have to read it!

Scott, I've pondered this subject at length and have mixed feelings about it.

Years ago, I agreed with the notion that wild cockies fly and burn off the energy they eat in seeds. I gave all my birds a pellet diet and they seemed just fine. More recently, though, I've found they just seem to *do* better when they get a fair proportion of seed to eat. I was beginning to feel Rosetta's keel far more than I'd like to, so I added in some seed mix and she's doing much better. She's also happier, IMO.

Here's an analogy for you. It's a bit far removed from what we're talking about, but my tiny mind can see parallels.

When I was in college, we had an overseas student arrive from New Guinea. He spent two years at our uni learning techniques for running a mass spectrometer, along with your basic lab technician's course. (This was absolutely ridiculous, IMHO, as Mape was bright enough to have been running the department, not doing menial lab tech work). However, I digress.

Mape came from a village about 100k east of Port Moresby and he lived almost exclusively on fish and native vegetables. About twice a year, they'd kill a pig and he'd get pork. When he arrived here, he was what my Mum would call 'a magnificent specimen': he was six-foot-two and was built like Jason Momoa. We found out he'd won a silver medal in the South Pacific Games for weight-lifting. So, in a nutshell, Mape was buff!

Twelve months later, he was plagued with gut problems and seemed not to be able to shake a whole series of 'flu-like symptoms. The doctor was treating him for a 'nonspecific virus', but we (his friends) worked it out. The college diet just didn't suit his metabolism. While it kept the rest of us fighting fit, with meat, veggies, cereals and all good things, it was no good for a guy who had always lived on fish. We went out and bought a whole bundle of fish and Mape cooked it for us in the traditional PNG way (wrapped in banana leaves and packed with coconut meat, then baked among hot stones in a pit).

O yum! I have *never* eaten fish as good as that! We had fresh cooked mangoes alongside it and everyone begged for more.

Anyway, the end of the story was that Mape's illness dissolved away after only a few days back on his 'native' diet. He got back his trim figure, lost his bellyache and felt great again. This is what I think of when I'm pondering my birds' diet. I think birds are evolved to eat a certain way and when we change their diets we're not necessarily doing them a favour.

I mean, after all, Blind Freddy can see if a bird is getting fat on a seed-based diet. That would be an occasion to resort to pellets (as we did with Dommie). However, I think seeds should always be offered to seed-eating species in measured amounts because that's what they're adapted to. Sort of like herbivores being adapted to metabolise cellulose where other species don't do so well with it.

I haven't seen a single intensive study to support or disprove my theory (and remember: I'm only calling it a theory as I could well be wrong!) I've just formed an opinion from what I've observed in my own circumstances. Oh, and having plentiful access to numerous species of wild flocks has contributed as well. LOL! My parents were convinced I was taking drugs because of the intensity of my 'bird-watching habit'. :)

One last point. I've heard Jamieleigh Womach state that 'wild cockatoos fly many miles each day in search of food'. LOLOL! That's just not true of Oz natives. Our wild cockies fly from farm to farm, gobbling up spilled wheat, barley and corn and denuding rather more of the crops than they have a right to. *Some* Australian parrots (eg. the lorikeets for example) must fly after seasonally available native fruits and blossoms, but that's not necessarily 'many miles' either. It's usually just up the road to the next stand of trees.

O shoot! I just realised how long this is. Sorry. My bad. :(

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Trish I read your post with interest. Unfortunately in my honest opinion humans have rather ****** up this planet, are using up too much land which is most likely why the 'too's eat crops a) 'cause it's easy food and b) that their natural diet just is not available anymore.

Pellets should never be fed as a total diet. They have been formulated in the main as an easy means of feeding our birds, supported and recommended by AV's because they saw so many cases of malnutrition and obesity. Whilst working with a UK charity I asked a potential adoptee what she fed the bird she already had? "He likes bread and jam!". Really?

Feeding parrots veggies and fresh foods is a way of enabling us to tick all the nutritional boxes. I know several people in the parrot community that will not touch pellets, they are keen, interested people in the welfare of their birds and can keep their birds healthy without them. So although I give my pink punks some seed * it isn't much, it's a treat, too much seed resulted in me losing Plum, along with his previous home's failings. This is why I feel I should have known and done more earlier, in my eyes I am gulity. I will not let that happen again for sure. In many cases a bird does not have to be overweight to have too much fat in their system, my Ruby was not overweight when I got her but her bloods were higher than Plum's were. A lot of the damage is already done by the time you can see something is wrong.

* I have changed from no seed in their diet as per my AV's advice but IMHO think they potentially have better gut health if allowed a little as long as not the full fat seeds.

There are loads of great nutritional foods available (here) that are completely free and all you need to do is go forage for it.

Certainly if you go look parrot nutrition is evolving and does not just have to be veggies and pellets. Karmen Budai has produced some really good information that does not cost a mint. (I'm not on commission btw!)

So to round up if folk are feeding their birds in the main plenty of varied fresh foods and some pellets (with or without some seeds) I feel that is a good start. I will always live in hope that it will not stop there and they go looking for more interesting ways of achieving that balanced diet for their birds sake. :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts