Potentially adopting a "complicated" galah

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Little punk! Every time I walk by him he "tries to bite me" only, he has no interest in chomping my flesh, he just wants to chew on my clothes! Hahahaha He lets me give head scratchies, and then nips me. Consistently every time I tickle his head. Still very very very attached to hubbs being in the room. He contact calls *constantly* while hubbs is out of the room. He is showing separation anxiety from his old flock I think, and has latched on to hubbs for comfort. He still contact calls quite a bit while hubbs is in the room too, and he often will grab something in his beak to just carry around-sort of a pacifier/tactile stim?

We know it likely will get worse before it gets better-we expected this. We are trying not to reinforce the screams, and we are showering him with attention when he uses his "smallbird" voice.

He seems perfectly willing to shred things, especially seagrass mats, paper towels, etc.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
try the counting trick I mention on several other threads (for screaming)-- as well as rewarding short spans of quiet behavior before screaming starts and narrating routines/telling your bird what you are doing when you leave the room

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Ah sounds gorgeous! Something that I have noticed in three pink punks now is they seem to like to have a toy on a chain; a rope type ball, a safe bell in particular as a pacifier. They are great wood chippers by the way.

Plum (RIP) used to call out a fair bit in the early days and I just used to acknowledge his call, assure him I was still there and eventually he became more relaxed and so did his calling. Have you done the tour of the house with him yet? Plum mapped our house, knew every room and used to follow me around.

Last edited:
OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
So! We have realized something else about our little Pink Pigeon. When he "goes to step up, puts 1 foot on you then loses his nerve and doesn't seem to want to step up with the second foot" he is, well.... trying to be in a romantic way with hands. He is perfectly happy to step up for hubbs and get scratchies, but he totally feels a family sort of way about my husband. LOL I have been watching all interactions, and it is time out when Pidge starts to get too into step up time. He seems to transition to full mating behavior almost immediately, so it is slow going working with him for now.

No shadowy places, no extra sugar, no mushy foods, no inaproproiate touching, extra sleep hours. Etc. Any more tips? I've had hormonal birds before, but not like this. Is he going to have to be completely hands off except for head scratchies for a while, or is there hope he will chill out with instantly trying to mate with hands?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, 'complicated' sure fits!

Regarding step-up, consider using your arm and not the hand. May not jump on as quickly, but will.

The joys of the hormonal season :)D) varies between species as well as individuals. No experience with galah! But with one of the Hot 3 Amazons, the experience can vary as to the starting point and just as well, the ending point. This year Julio started with a bang in December and is now slowing, in mid-late January.

We note the start and end in his weight journal! Noted as: "Tis The Season." :D

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
So! We have realized something else about our little Pink Pigeon. When he "goes to step up, puts 1 foot on you then loses his nerve and doesn't seem to want to step up with the second foot" he is, well.... trying to be in a romantic way with hands. He is perfectly happy to step up for hubbs and get scratchies, but he totally feels a family sort of way about my husband. LOL I have been watching all interactions, and it is time out when Pidge starts to get too into step up time. He seems to transition to full mating behavior almost immediately, so it is slow going working with him for now.

No shadowy places, no extra sugar, no mushy foods, no inaproproiate touching, extra sleep hours. Etc. Any more tips? I've had hormonal birds before, but not like this. Is he going to have to be completely hands off except for head scratchies for a while, or is there hope he will chill out with instantly trying to mate with hands?

Hi Bug, hope you feel better by knowing that our Bertie came home to us with a similar 'hand attachment' (throat clearing ;)). Rather than step-up to the hand we've been working on arm/shoulder step-ups. He's a determined little fella and when stepping up to the arm he will make a mad dash toward the hand, so it's catch me if you can, play games (he loves peek-a-boo) for distraction, or divert to another play area where it is basically hands off. He is expressing 'natural instincts' so we never make it 'bad' or 'negative' in any way. It is distract and divert only with the sexual behaviour. Perhaps using a wooden perch for step-up and step-down would be a suitable alternative as well?? Ensure that the favoured hubbs is using the same step-up and step-down routine that you choose of course.

Bertie will allow small head touches ('front to back' only for Ekkies; as Saxguy states, they don't like you messin' with their do) and that's it. He's learning how to 'hang out' still and spending more time on my shoulder as I work about in the kitchen, or whilst we sing and dance about the room, and now even whilst quietly watching a movie. It's 1 1/2 years since his rescue and we are still working on avoiding the 'hand attachment'. We're getting there :).

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

A youngster still knows the moves and will do the 'waggle dance' we call it with hands but it isnt hormonal, it will get them hyped and a bit edgy. My friends youngster does this and then changes to attacking his feathers. Just distract! If you just use hands to move him and place him on something else he most likely will not do it. The second foot not following is just trust and confidence that is all.

Progress the toys a bit some wood ones to use his beak. No panic if it isnt taken to immediately, can take months or years sometimes :)

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
As youngsters they have heaps of energy and a huge willingness and capability to learn so why not use this and do a range of things; training, tricks, general play/daftness until they get a bit hyper. These are hugely bonding experiences and something you can both take part in, hoping it builds a good bond for you both? I am still confident that this is possible, it may not be completely equal but still good.

Most Reactions