Pouting parakeet?

Lulu10766

Dec 29, 2022
Parrots
1 Parakeet
Hello! I have a little parakeet, and almost everyday ( at least 5-6 days out of the week ), I get him out in the early morning when he first wakes up, and heā€™ll stay out of his cage until around noon or so, when heā€™ll happily go back in his cage.
However, some days Iā€™m unable to get him out for that long, only leaving him out for about a hour or two. Yesterday, I had him out for a hour and a half in the morning, then I had to go to church and afterwards had other things to go do. Usually, even if I donā€™t have him out long, heā€™s used to me being home for the majority of the day. My parents said after I left for a little bit he was calling out, but eventually he quit chirping when I didnā€™t come back.
Today, when I went to let him out of his cage, he didnā€™t want to come out at first. It was a little while before he decided to. This is unusual because usually heā€™s chirping and fussing while Iā€™m getting ready, wanting to be let out. I noticed a pattern that on the days Iā€™m gone for awhile, or he isnā€™t able to get out long, heā€™ll refuse to come out of his cage for a good 5-10 minutes, or he wonā€™t come out at all. Is my bird pouting??

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hello! I have a little parakeet, and almost everyday ( at least 5-6 days out of the week ), I get him out in the early morning when he first wakes up, and heā€™ll stay out of his cage until around noon or so, when heā€™ll happily go back in his cage.
However, some days Iā€™m unable to get him out for that long, only leaving him out for about a hour or two. Yesterday, I had him out for a hour and a half in the morning, then I had to go to church and afterwards had other things to go do. Usually, even if I donā€™t have him out long, heā€™s used to me being home for the majority of the day. My parents said after I left for a little bit he was calling out, but eventually he quit chirping when I didnā€™t come back.
Today, when I went to let him out of his cage, he didnā€™t want to come out at first. It was a little while before he decided to. This is unusual because usually heā€™s chirping and fussing while Iā€™m getting ready, wanting to be let out. I noticed a pattern that on the days Iā€™m gone for awhile, or he isnā€™t able to get out long, heā€™ll refuse to come out of his cage for a good 5-10 minutes, or he wonā€™t come out at all. Is my bird pouting??
It sounds like it. Birds do have attitudes and get mad or hurt feelings about things. They can be spoiled just like little kids and, for example, be angry because you took away a dangerous object they were playing with.

OP
Lulu10766

Lulu10766

Dec 29, 2022
Parrots
1 Parakeet
It sounds like it. Birds do have attitudes and get mad or hurt feelings about things. They can be spoiled just like little kids and, for example, be angry because you took away a dangerous object they were playing with.
Okay, thank you! He does have an attitude sometimes. Usually heā€™s pretty laid back and good, but when it comes to getting out of his cage, heā€™s rather bossy. Oh, and where I go. He gets mad sometimes if I leave the room. I donā€™t pamper him with it though. I only come back if that was my original plan. But heā€™ll have hissy fits haha

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there. Parrots, in addition to having smarts and excellent memory, are also very observant and pick up on patterns and behaviors excellently. My 'zon Salty can tell in seconds if I am not going to be home on Tuesday nights, because that is bluegrass jam session night. all I have to do is shave a few hours before I leave, and he is keyed into it. And showing his displeasure about this (read - trying to bite me). What Iam trying to say is, if you have a regular day-to-day routine that you keep and then you break it, they will notice, and it may change their behavior.

OP
Lulu10766

Lulu10766

Dec 29, 2022
Parrots
1 Parakeet
Hi there. Parrots, in addition to having smarts and excellent memory, are also very observant and pick up on patterns and behaviors excellently. My 'zon Salty can tell in seconds if I am not going to be home on Tuesday nights, because that is bluegrass jam session night. all I have to do is shave a few hours before I leave, and he is keyed into it. And showing his displeasure about this (read - trying to bite me). What Iam trying to say is, if you have a regular day-to-day routine that you keep and then you break it, they will notice, and it may change their behavior.
That does make sense. Birdie doesnā€™t really like it if I suddenly change our routine. One morning, since I had worked out pretty hard the night before and then couldnā€™t sleep, I was rather tired and woke up a hour later then usual. He let me know his displeasure with me by squawking and fussing, until I let him out. But he wasnā€™t happy I was about 30 or so minutes later than usual for letting him out ! Haha

Most Reactions