Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
So I've had Tallulah for a little bit now and I've noticed that in addition to the bit of stress related plucking around her neck, she doesn't seem to have a lot of powder down.

Compared to Gonzo, she barely has anything at all. Could it be age related? She's just under 5 years old while he's 18. I know younger (babies in particular) don't produce down, so is it a gradual increase in production over time?

I assume partially diet related, which is in the process of being remedied, but she seems to have decent grooming habits, I don't see her "using" the powdery feathers near her tail very much. I'm hoping by watching Gonzo she'll learn to preen a little bit better.

Is there anything I can do to help her? I've upped her calcium with a little supplement a few times a week, as well as lots of fresh fruit and veggies, some home made nutriberries and a little bit of palm or coconut oil, in addition to her pellets and other food items.

I know that a lack of powder down can be a sign of a health issue... if a bird is otherwise healthy, I'm not too sure what to suggest.

I know that a lack of powder down can be a sign of a health issue... if a bird is otherwise healthy, I'm not too sure what to suggest.

She does have some, but unlike Gonzo she doesn't leave a "dust print" everywhere she goes. :D

Scratching around I seem to free some, but I feel like she doesn't preen like she should to spread it around. I'm hoping being around him can inspire some better habits, and once they're properly introduced and socialized, some spreading of powder that might help her out.

As far as the calcium is concerned, you might try giving her a chicken bone next time you cook chicken. There's lots of calcium, and from what I've seen, Greys seem to adore them, eating every single bit of the bone. I've read that natural-source calcium is better than supplements, and eating the bone seems to be quite engaging, at least to the CAGs I know...

I went to the vet yesterday for something unrelated and the vet commented on how she was producing a lot of powder and something about the health of her feet? Apparently, feet and powder are signs of potential dietary deficiencies. That might not be the case for you but it's worth considering.

So far after the almost month or so that I've had her, she's definitely getting in better shape and has a decent amount of down covering her. She loves watching Gonzo and I see her preening when he does, which is adorable. A better diet has definitely done a lot for her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back