Preparing for a Trip

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
I need extra brain power to make sure I don't forget anything!

My partner and I are going on an extended vacation and taking our two birds (eclectus and gcc) with us. I am trying to make a list of everything I need to bring with us for them and yes I would absolutely prefer to over prepare and be safe than under prepare and be sorry. Here's what I have going so far for my list, please comment additional items that you would bring!
358649056_6591036577619448_8201959794620321261_n.jpg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
  • Treats! For training or foraging
  • Poop off (if you use it)
  • small air purifier if you have one
Great list!

OP
J

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
  • Treats! For training or foraging
  • Poop off (if you use it)
  • small air purifier if you have one
Great list!
Face palm on forgetting the treats, how could I miss that! I don't use poop off, just the vinegar cleaning solution....does poop off work on carpets? I'm thinking maybe I need a carpet cleaner too just in case. I don't have a small purifier, I did add a singular pot and pan to my list though in case we do need to cook something there. It's my FIL's cabin we are going to and we have been there a few times, so I'm not too worried about needing an air filter.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Face palm on forgetting the treats, how could I miss that! I don't use poop off, just the vinegar cleaning solution....does poop off work on carpets? I'm thinking maybe I need a carpet cleaner too just in case. I don't have a small purifier, I did add a singular pot and pan to my list though in case we do need to cook something there. It's my FIL's cabin we are going to and we have been there a few times, so I'm not too worried about needing an air filter.
Poop off does work on carpet :) I use it to clean the poop off my couch 😂

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If the birds will be loose in the cabin, maybe something to block the door to the great outdoors? A large blanket? If they escape there, its likely you'll not see them again. Make sure all cookware is NOT non-stick and any heaters used are safe ones. If theres a fireplace, dont use it or make sure there is a 100% firegrill in place - roast parrot don't taste so good.

OP
J

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
If the birds will be loose in the cabin, maybe something to block the door to the great outdoors? A large blanket? If they escape there, its likely you'll not see them again. Make sure all cookware is NOT non-stick and any heaters used are safe ones. If theres a fireplace, dont use it or make sure there is a 100% firegrill in place - roast parrot don't taste so good.
I don't plan on having them loose often because I'm primarily worried about them flying into windows being in an unfamiliar environment. I am bringing paper and tape to put on the windows to try to avoid that. I also am bringing warning signs for the exterior doors just to make sure no one is letting themselves in while the birds are out. Do you think I should still do more than that? I'm bringing a pot and pan from my house just to not risk any unsafe cookware. And not so luckily, it is supposed to be very hot the whole trip, so I don't think I'll even have to touch the heater.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I don't plan on having them loose often because I'm primarily worried about them flying into windows being in an unfamiliar environment. I am bringing paper and tape to put on the windows to try to avoid that. I also am bringing warning signs for the exterior doors just to make sure no one is letting themselves in while the birds are out. Do you think I should still do more than that? I'm bringing a pot and pan from my house just to not risk any unsafe cookware. And not so luckily, it is supposed to be very hot the whole trip, so I don't think I'll even have to touch the heater.
Do they have a fan so your bird's don't get too hot? Or is there an AC?
Bring something for them to bathe in to cool off? A familiar bowl maybe?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
There is an ac wall unit and we are bringing a fan just in case.
My budgie Rocky seems to like traveling and adjusts really well to staying in new places. I don't like to leave her overnight more than one night so we take her with us. We just took a long road trip (400 miles each way) to stay with family for four days and Rocky did very well but she's happy to be home now with her friends (my other budgies).

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
It's so exciting going on holiday with your birds! Here's a list of stuff I make sure to bring with me
Favourite toys (things that you know can entertain them for a long time)
Lots of newspaper for the bottom of the cage and also to put on surfaces where we're staying
A playstand that they can sit on when out of the cage
Birdseed netting to put around the cage and prevent the mess from getting everywhere
Lots of kitchen roll
Plenty of their normal food, and extra treats

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's so exciting going on holiday with your birds! Here's a list of stuff I make sure to bring with me
Favourite toys (things that you know can entertain them for a long time)
Lots of newspaper for the bottom of the cage and also to put on surfaces where we're staying
A playstand that they can sit on when out of the cage
Birdseed netting to put around the cage and prevent the mess from getting everywhere
Lots of kitchen roll
Plenty of their normal food, and extra treats
Lots of baby wipes to clean up bird messes and human messes without harsh chemicals. And a few towels you don't care about to clean up bigger messes.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Lots of baby wipes to clean up bird messes and human messes without harsh chemicals. And a few towels you don't care about to clean up bigger messes.
And your favorite pillows. How many times have I wished I had thrown out pillows in the car before we too off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts