Prepping for winter.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi all. We, myself and my two 6 month old Indian Ringnecks Missy and Gracie, are prepping for their first winter, here in Tasmania. In the winter months here, the night time temps are in the single digits and, on rare occasion, barely a digit, and the daytime temps don't usually break into double digits.
I used to use a bar heater because I would only warm the area around me but of course.... I can only use that now after they have gone to bed for the night and so I am more reliant on the air conditioner to slowly heat the room now.... and being on a pension... I can't afford to have that running 24/7. I am thinking of buying for myself a little fan heater. Something that Missy won't want to use as a perch like she does with the T.V., the curtain rods, my paintings, my... heck, my anything.
I'm wanting to know if there are any things, including trying to keep them warm, that I can do. Any little titbits of info, any little gems that you have tried and have worked well for you, that I can do that ensures, that my girls will continue to thrive over the cooler months.
Anything?
Frozen Missy and Gracie.jpg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
It gets well below 0C here in winter so I use an oil-filled heater in the living room. It's safe for birdie lungs and doesn't dry out the air.

Like this:

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
It gets well below 0C here in winter so I use an oil-filled heater in the living room. It's safe for birdie lungs and doesn't dry out the air.

Like this:

How do you keep your feathered friend from landing on it?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
but it's spring why are you prepping for winter?????

I know South and north just wanted to do a joke....

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
How do you keep your feathered friend from landing on it?
Oh I'm so sorry, I completely overlooked that bit! My little guy is currently plucked enough he doesn't fly so I haven't had to worry about that yet!

I did have a previous cat who wanted to jump on it though, and I used a towel folded up on the top. The towel didn't get hot enough for me to fear a fire risk and it was enough of a buffer for paws.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Get something like this in metal to " cage " the heater...uh not a self warming one! Just picked because small metal cage can set in or some come apart so van set in top

Last edited:
OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Get something like this in mental to " cage " the heater...uh not a self warming one! Just picked because small metal cage can set in or some come apart so van set in top
I'm a bit worried about giving them anything "nesting" like, as I am already seeing some nesting behaviour in Missy and she hasn't started her bluffing stage yet.

Yes, a self warming one would be more "nesty" than something where they can't actually sit or "nest" on. I am worried too, about anything electrical, as I don't want them to bite thru anything and get electrocuted. The ones I am seeing are USB connected but, not being informed on anything electrical, I wonder if they could still get electrocuted should they bite thru a wire.

I used a water bottle with hot water in it and wrapped in a towel when I was raising Missy but I had to get up and refill it with warm water during the night.

They are not in their cage during the day so am looking at some other means for heating the room as well as something for their cage during the night.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh sorry for confusion @ this was my idea to put the safe oil heater( mentioned by Cotton) inside and keep the burds from landing on the heater

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Well now I wish I'd thought of that years ago - I have a wire crate like that and tipped on its side would have worked splendidly.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oh sorry for confusion @ this was my idea to put the safe oil heater( mentioned by Cotton) inside and keep the burds from landing on the heater
I have an air conditioner for the room but I just worry about them overnight. They share the cage and sleep together so maybe they will be fine (???) during the night? Their cage cover keeps in any heat, so I will go from worrying that they are too cold to worrying that they are too hot?? Lol...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My dad found me a small sweeter heater a radiant heat safe for burds panel 20 years ago when I lived up north. Because he didn't want me heating the whole house just to keep my parrot warm ..best gift ever!!!!!

They used to be made by avi tech just for parrots, then they became sweeter heater abd expanded to chickens ect.

The smallest one they have is more than enough radiant heat ( no light) to keep yours warm and comfortable. And a life saver for sick burds. I fact often you have to set back 6 inches or more from cage. I attached to a pole and I can move as needed.

This is the link. But if you can't get Shipping to your country. Check feed stores , as they will have a safe one of diffirebt kind used for baby chickens. Also available on Amazon

The small 11 inch side mount..its a little expensive, but I swear by mine and I havetbeen using the same one 20 years! I got my neighbor one fir his cockatiel 6 years ago his is still working fine.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Will look into these. Many thanks Laurasea:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts