Prime vitamin supplement

Alic

Sep 30, 2020
Parrots
Two budgies
Has anyone tried Prime vitamin supplement?
My vet suggested me to get it for my budgies that refuse to eat fruit and veggies, but I can't find anyone on the internet that has tried it (I've found someone, but they all use it for their bigger parrots).
Also, my female budgie is having a slight episode of metal poisoning and I'm already giving her a natural supplement to help her liver, so I don't know if I should wait until her therapy is over (should take 6 months) before giving her some Prime.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Is she on chelation therapy? Vitamins are risky. I understand your concern about the lack of fruit and veg. Are they eating pellets or fortified seeds? If so, I would skip the vitamins. Pellets are something to start introducing if you haven't. If their food is already fortified, you don't want to double up on vitamins because they can overdose.
Is a vet working with you on all of this and are they avian certified?

GENERALLY, milk thistle supplements are safe as long as they are NOT suspended in alcohol and as long as they are intended for birds. That having been said, you need to ask the vet to make sure that there will not be any interaction between milk thistle and her current therapy. Also, you never want to put anything in their water, as it can alter the rate at which bacterial growth occurs, but also, it can dissuade them from drinking. Furthermore, when things are added to water, it is impossible to know how much they are ingesting.

I would not add any vitamin drops or supplements at this time unless your vet is very very knowledgeable about birds and says she needs them. You technically should have a vitamin panel run before just guessing, as they can get too many vitamins (which can harm their organs/poison them).

Keep introducing fruit/veg (more veg) even if they don't eat it. It can take years sometimes, but repeat exposure is key. Also, you can try cooking them (no salt, no canned etc) and see if that helps- also chopping them up or mashing them in different ways can sometimes entice them.

Last edited:
OP
Alic

Alic

Sep 30, 2020
Parrots
Two budgies
She's not on chelation therapy, the vet just told me to give her a natural milk thistle supplement (and judging by the healthy color of her droppings, it is already working). I'm sure that it's a certified avian vet, she has helped my budgies many times, so I trust her. I will talk with her again and ask her about the therapy, the supplements and the pellets. Thanks!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If she has metal in her system, I'm pretty sure milk thistle alone won't get it out. Milk thistle is for the liver, but not everything.

Most Reactions

Latest posts