protecting?

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Hello ,I have 2 conures ,they are brothers,I got them together and most of the time they are getting on really well .One if them is really territorial about his cage ( Zack) the other who is more friendly with us, willing to step up. Yesterday just before they got back to their cage I called them to give a walnut for each on the cage top. Zack got his first ,then as I was showing the other to Mogyi Zack bit me on my finger really hard. Which could have been my fault ( I tried to gove the nut reahing my hand in front of him).What suprised me that after Mogyi attacked Zack which he ususally never do. :oops: to me it was something :why did you do that? sort of thing. Could be or just overthinking? :green1:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I have two blue crowns and have seen similar behavior. Tootsie, the female, is very attached to me and Rosco, the male, is a rescue who likes to be near me but he has never warmed up to be all that friendly. Partly I think because he is protective of Tootsie. If Tootsie makes any kind of growling noise, from touching a blood feather to clipping her nails, Rosco will immediately become aggressive and has gotten a good bite or two on a finger. Similarly, if he starts acting up towards me she will respond by puffing up and trying to nip at him. Tootsie is an elderly bird though so it is mainly a show because she is a little frail and he can easily dominate her. Sometimes think that we have our own little love triangle going on.

OP
widor

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
I have two blue crowns and have seen similar behavior. Tootsie, the female, is very attached to me and Rosco, the male, is a rescue who likes to be near me but he has never warmed up to be all that friendly. Partly I think because he is protective of Tootsie. If Tootsie makes any kind of growling noise, from touching a blood feather to clipping her nails, Rosco will immediately become aggressive and has gotten a good bite or two on a finger. Similarly, if he starts acting up towards me she will respond by puffing up and trying to nip at him. Tootsie is an elderly bird though so it is mainly a show because she is a little frail and he can easily dominate her. Sometimes think that we have our own little love triangle going on.
"Our own little love triangle" 😄,

Most Reactions

Latest posts